Staples, when do you use them

My wife convinced me that I should buy a pneumatic stapler. She has a small re-upholstery project it would be good for.

Aside from that, when is a staple more appropriate than a nail, brad, or screw? Today I build a bookcase and use it to attach the 1/4" plywood back. That seemed like a good idea, but now what do I do with it?

Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I acquired a 1/2" air stapler a while back (Jamerco). So far, upholstery with fabric into hardwood (like furniture) and vinyl over plywood (like a pickup bed cover) have been the only uses for it. It is quite fast and uses little air. Other art-related processes such as stapling canvas to a wood frame for painting or theater-related use such as building backdrops and flats with fabric or thin paneling could be done. Most woodworking trim seems to use a narrow-crown staple with longer leg lengths. If your wife can stretch the material, an inexpensive upholstery air stapler would be a good investment and save the wear and tear on her hands. But that's about all it's good for. The width of the staple does reduce pullout on fabric which would occur with nails, brads or screws. Paying someone else to re-upholster can be quite pricey. It will be her air tool.

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:44:05 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

you do need it. IMO having the right tool to do a job helps a great deal and just think, ya might talk the wife into more reupholstery around the house. Being an upholsterer for 30 yrs., I have quite a few around the shop and always find something a use them for. They're great for stapling notes to my forehead on those special days when the oldshiemzer is acting up, to stapling together 1/4" plywood when you have multiple parts to cut on the bandsaw. But like I said, having it when ya need it makes the job a whole lot easier.

Reply to
ChairMan

Mon, Aug 4, 2003, 2:44am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) asks: now what do I do with it?

Maybe picture frames.

Damn, there's one other use I can think of, but I can't think what it's called just now. It's when you take thin strips of wood and you staple them down when making, or putting a new skin on, a boat. You epoxy them, then staple them in place. When the epoxy sets you pull the staples, glue another strip, staple, etc. That's the only two things I could think of I would use that type of staple for, besides upholstering, that is.

I got one of those years, and years, ago, and don't think I ever used it at all.

JOAT Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football.

- Lu-Tze

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Staples are the best type of fastner when you have weak and or thin materials where a nail head migh easily pull through. This might be very near the edge of luan ply, slim shingles, thin resawn pine and of course any type of fabric lke materials. Also goof for applying paper lables, etc.

Reply to
Bill Wallace

Mon, Aug 4, 2003, 3:25pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bill=A0Wallace) claims: Staples are the best type of fastner when you have weak and or thin materials where a nail head migh easily pull through. This might be very near the edge of luan ply, slim shingles, thin resawn pine and of course any type of fabric lke materials. Also goof for applying paper lables, etc.

I believe I would prefer glue as first choice, for all those.

Unless I wanted to remove whatever later that is, then staples might be OK.

JOAT Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football.

- Lu-Tze

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

It probably wasn't a good idea. Staples don't do a good job of holding backs onto things that get moved around, IME. Better to use little ring shank nails unless you just know the item is going to sit in one spot for

30 years or something.
Reply to
Silvan