Stapler for furniture

I need to replace the rubber/leather straps that support a chair and 2 couches. Since there are so many of them to do, I can justify a new stapler. The current straps are about 1 inch wide and are stapled to the frame. The staples appear to be a heavy guage about 3/8 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. Any idea who make such a beast? I can use electric or air.

Thanks, Len

Reply to
l-lopez

Senco SFW08 Fine Wire Upholstery - Utility Stapler 3/8" Crown

Nova

You probably cannot go wrong as long as you stick with air operated. Go electric and it's going to be iffy at best. If this is to be you only foreseeable need for the gun I'd go with the Harbor Freight model.

Reply to
Leon

I got the Harbor Freight model and like it a lot. The price was right too. It was on sale for 15.95. The staples cost me 5 bucks. It was a large box and should last me for years. Check it out it does not look like a piece of junk.The quality of it is surprisingly well made.

Reply to
Dave

Do you have a need for the stapler beyond this job.

Since you are not in the mass production furniture business why not use a tack strip over the straps and just screw the tack strip down.

Save the money for a tool you really will use a lot.

You can'r have enough hammers or clamps.....

Reply to
Jay Giuliani

Hammers? I'm pretty sure you can have enough hammers.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

I have a Senco SFW10, about $125, for doing upholstery. When in school, other students, who were not going to professionally work in upholstery, used the Harbor Freight models and they worked just fine. It's the cheap staples you have to be careful of.

With regard to the replacement straps: You may want to consider replacing the straps with jute webbing - a 3-1/2" wide, thick burlap type weave band, specifically for spring and other base support on many kinds of furniture. I'm not familiar with rubber or leather strap supports. I have seen narrow elastic type supports, but not for spring or base type supporting.

Jute Webbing: Staple one end, with a 3/4" to 1" tag extending past the staple line. Fold the tag over the initial staple line and staple the tag on top of the initial staple line. Tighten, very tight, the strap across the furniture bottom and staple the other end. Cut the webbing, leaving another tag, then fold this tag back over itself and staple again. Weave the straps, over and under successive crossing straps, as you install them. Tighten the webbing almost as tight as you can, when installing them, but don't break the woodwork. Often times, jute webbing is installed with the strips pretty much adjacent to one another..... the weaving of the strips may dictate a need for spacing them a little, up to 1" spacing. If you have any coil springs involved in the re-installation, use hog ringers to attach the springs to the webbing.... at least 3, preferrably 4, points of attachment per spring. If you don't have hog ringers readily available, twist tie (on the spring side of the webbing) with a large paper clip and snip off the excess end tags.

Jute webbing may be purchased at your local fabric shop. Dust cover, if applicable, may be purchased, there, too. Blue stripped jute webbing is for backrest support and red stripped is for seat support.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Do you have a pneumatic stapler of any size? If not, I'd get a 1/4"/

18g narrow crown stapler that shoots lengths from 3/8" to 1 1/2". This is a great all-around stapler to have in the shop. It's good for jig-making and especially for holding plywood parts together while the glue sets or you drive in screws.

WRT the original staples, if they are heavy gauge like you said, they're probably a less common size that's used in the commercial upholstery/furniture trades. You could find it (google) but I think it would probably shoot a much more limited range of staple lengths that wouldn't be much used outside of this one specific application you have.

Good luck. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique