HD- Ridgid Stapler Staples?

I am looking for a stapler for occasional use. I was looking at narrow crown 1/4" (18ga) units when I came across HD's new ( at least in my area) stapler. It looked nice AND the literature said it took staples from 1 1/2" down to 3/8". I thought I could use it for some upholstery work too with the short staples. I called HD to asked if they stocked 3/8" 1/4" staples and they said no, not yet. So I looked around at the local suppliers and the smallest

1/4" staple they carry is 1/2". Is Ridgid's marketing department dreaming or are they available somewhere. Thanks, JG
Reply to
JGS

Are you sure you want a narrow crown 18 ga staple for upholstery? My refinishing buddy uses the 1/2" crown oppositive point staples that are flat and look like some kind of super heavy duty office staple.

I would think think the small crown round heads would pull through material easily.

Just a thought.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41
1/4" crown staples are called narrow crown. These are great for cabinet backs, trim and soffit installation. They come in leg lengths from about 1/2" to 1+1/2" depending on what's available.

For upholstery work, there are upholstery staples. About 3/8" crown and 1/4"-9/16" leg, but made of fine wire (22 guage), like an office staple. They can be used for upholstery, bedding, speakers grill, picture frames, roofing felt and boat seating.

These staples are available, but not likely at a home center. They come in boxes of 10,000 but they are not very expensive $3-$5 per box. That's not a typical consumer package and the boxes would fall apart before they all sold.

These could be ordered off the web or contact a local upholstery shop to find out where they get their supplies.

I own a pneumatic upholstery stapler and have not yet used half of one box of staples for it. I also own a pneumatic narrow crown stapler where the staples are available at the home centers in boxes of 1000.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick