Dust collectors, considering 3

I am considering purchasing 1 of these for use in my garage sized shop. Will use with contractor saw, bench top planner, 6" belt sander, disk sander, and band saw. Usually 1 tool at a time.

Jet 708626RCK DC-1100, 1.5 hp, 1100 cfm, 2 micron canister $ 445 free shipping

Penn State DC2000CF, 2hp, 1500 cfm, 1 micron canister $ 399 + shipping

Grizzly G0548, 2hp, 1700 cfm, 1 micron filter canister, $495 + shipping

Any thoughts about sizing or experience with these systems would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

mike moorman

Reply to
michael moorman

I have the Jet. Plenty powerful enough to handle machines mentioned, even several at once if necessary. The canister will occasionally need removed and cleaned thoroughly, as the flappers do not remove all the dust. (I do mine a couple times a year or so outside with compressed air) The plastic bags are thick enough to reuse many times. Get a remote control, They are well worth the extra few bucks! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

If you're willing to spend that kind of change I'd go with the unit that moves the most air. My experience is with the Harbor Freight unit in just the same situation as you discribe. Hooked up to a 4" PVC run and gates at each hose connection the unit has no trouble with any of the desribed equipment. I would suggest that you add a second stage separator to take some of the load and potential damage off of the main unit. I used a small, steel drum (20 gal or so), lined with a heavy trash bag which is weighted to keep it down. This catches 90% of the dust and debis. I've got no complaints with the HF unit.

Reply to
C & M

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

You might want to check out the JDS 1.5 hp unit. I have one and have nothing but good to say about it. It now has an available cannister as well. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

You might also check out the noise level, usually given in db level. When I bought mine a few years ago, the Jet was considerable quieter then the Penn State.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale

If you are looking to purchase a DC for the protection of your lungs, then you should do some serious research first. Buy or borrow the book, 'Woodshop Dust Control' by Sandor Nagyszalanczy. Check out

. For dust collection that will filter 99.9% of particles from 0.2 micron to 3.0 micron in your sized shop, you will want a two-stage (cyclone) system with a motor that develops a real 1.5 Hp minimum. Beware that alot of what's marketed does not perform anywhere near what the manufactures claim.

For a few hundred dollars more you can by an Oneida Dust Gorilla or the new Grizzly. This is serious dust collection.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in news:1117345889.879140.324040 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Which new Grizzly do you mean?

Reply to
Han

I have had the Penn State DC2000 for some time with no problems. I have rewired for 220. I plan to go to the canister and plastic bags soon, vs the

5 micron felt. Dealing with the bags is the largest hassle I have found, but all the cleaners in this class look the same to me in this regard, though I have no direct experience with any others.
Reply to
Fourleaves

I've got the Penn State DC, only with the 1 micron bag instead of the cannister. I spent another $75 or so on their muffler, which is *very* effective. I can easily carry on a conversation with the DC running and nobody has to shout. It was a very pleasant surprise after using shop vacs.

I also highly recommend getting a wireless remote.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

G0440. Find it at

your filter has not been independently tested to capture 99.9% of particles between 0.2 and 3.0 micron, it will be missing most of the particles that are dangerous to your health. Your shop might look clean, but the most hazardous particles are invisible to the eye.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in news:1117457311.421536.137850 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sorry for Grizzly. That's beyond my price. I'm just an occasional hobbyist.

Reply to
Han

What if my filter catches the 99.9% of particles but has not been independently tested. Will it then harm my lungs?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Only if you're not using the charcoal filter to catch the acetone fumes... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Depends. Are you running a 15 amp motor on a 30 amp circuit?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Consider the footprint (how much space it takes up) of your collector. The pleated filters are the nicest, and do go down to 1 micron for particle collection. A can instead of a bag to collect the chips is best. Get or make a two stage system, so you don't wreck the impeller when you accidentally suck up a rag or big chunk of solid material. A remote switch is an "I can't live without it" accessory. You may even want a spare one. I think my first one went out with the turning shavings. I asked Oneida if I needed a secondary filter before venting the air back into my shop. I could tell that they were insulted and they replied that "our systems don't leak ANY dust." After 2 years, I know that they are right. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

I've got my Penn State in the corner right by the outer aspect of the garage door. It is plumbed to a trash can cyclone that sits under the outfeed table of my table saw. Sitting in the corner like it is, it's damn near impossible to get to it to turn it on and off, so I got a wireless remote from the local Klingspor store. That came with one receiver that the dust collector plugs into and two remotes. I've got one hanging on the overhead guard of my table saw and the other on my bandsaw. Very handy indeed.

Truthfully, I wish I'd bought the DC before I bought an air cleaner. Had I done that, I might not have bothered spending the money on the air cleaner at all. Dust collectors are a wonderful thing, and light years beyond a shop vac in performance and quietness of operation.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:iXEme.883 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

110v or 220v?
Reply to
Patriarch

I purchased a Penn State DC2000 with 1 micron bags and have been very satisfied with it. I have it hooked up to a 5" pipe with 4" reducers at the blast gates and use it for my table saw, bandsaw, planer (grabs every shaving from the Delta 2 speed) etc. It is quiter than a Shop Fox or Delta and fairly easy to change the bags on. Though it does not have a canister..I got it for $275 on sale with the 1 micron bags several years ago.

Reply to
Bob