Grizzly or Penn State dust collector?

I need to get a dust collector for a basement shop, and was wondering what people think between these two companies. They both have a 2 hp unit, 1500ish CFM, 12" impellers, similar stats. Grizzly has it with .3 micron bags, Penn with 1 micron.

Any opinions on which is better? I was thinking Harbor Freight, but the extra $$$ spent for the better bag, plus since the HF is only

110v, I question the 2hp. claim.

If someone has a used collector or air cleaner in the Chicago area for sale, I'm not opposed to used.

Rob

Reply to
RobW

Cannot comment on Grizzly dust collection but I have one of their cabinet saws and some other equipment. Very happy with the saw and their service. If you call their product support they will give you phone numbers of up to two customers in your area that have purchased similar equipment. Might try that.

Reply to
RonB

I bought a PS and am reasonably happy with it, however...

Their catalog calls says it is a 18a motor, but the motor says it is 16a. I sent several emails to PS about it, but they did not bother to answer.

My table saw has a brand name 2hp motor that is 16a, so it is possible; but I agree that HF's is probably much less.

Reply to
toller

I have the grizzly but purchased the 1 mic bags works great.

Len

Reply to
leonard

I have the G1029Z. It is an awesome machine I am very happy with it. Grizzly says that it is their top seller. It costs 259.95.

Reply to
Ace

I don't know about the grizzly, however, I bought the Penn State 2500. In comparisons, it was shown to be very efficient and had a low noise level. All I can say is that I am pleased. I have a tablesaw, jointer and planer hooked up at one time and it does a good job.

Preston.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I have the HF DC.

first, it works well and is certainly an excellent value.

second, those must be shetland ponies. I can't imagine feeding 2 full size horsies with 110v through the light duty cord they put on it.

Reply to
bridger

I have the 1029Z. It's my 1st dust collector and I'm very happy with my purchase. Others have said it is noisy, but I was surprised by how quiet it is. A relative thing I suppose. Most of my shop is Grizzly and I'm delighted with everything.

Good luck.

Reply to
Newshound

Reply to
Joe_Stein

I'm very happy with my Penn State dust collector. It is very quiet and comes with a well made 1 micron bag...which my friends with other dust collectors have added after the fact. The Shop Fox has a very appealing price from Highland Hardware in Atlanta but is somewhat noisy.

Reply to
RMeyer1

I recently got the Penn State DC2000CF. It's made in China, and I thought the overall fit and finish were mediocre... I'd put it about on the Harbor Freight level, and in fact most of the major parts (other than motor and impeller) appear identical to the HF DC. But hey, this is a dust collector, and performance is what matters, not cosmetics. The airflow is very impressive, and I've measured the motor draw at almost 9 amps with the blower wide open, so it appears to live up to its rating.

Penn State also has an older 2 HP model, the DC250, which is rated for fewer CFM but has been reported to have better fit and finish.

I can't comment on the Grizzly G1029Z, except to say a lot of people like it, and performance should be comparable. However, I'm skeptical about their 0.3 micron filtration claim. All the other vendors of felt filter bags (Penn State, Oneida, American Fabric Filter, etc.) rate them at 1 micron. I don't believe that Grizzly has some magic fabric that somehow works three times better than anyone elsess. Penn State uses oversized 16 oz felt bags, and I'd give them the nod for filtration no matter what the advertising says.

Reply to
Kent

The top bag on my 1029 is real heavy and it feels like the bag is close to or is about 1/8th inch thick. It feels like a heavy felt bag.

Reply to
Ace

I have a no-name 2HP 1200cfm. Got one of the felt-oversized top bag. Made all the difference in the world. Mine looks to be 24X60 inch. Doubled the suction. Jack

Reply to
jack

========================== I have used a 1029 Grizzley unit for over 10 years and it works BUT I do not think it is all that great... However my bags are original and pretty porous ...30.0 microns would be more like it nowhere near 0.3 or 5.0 or even 10.0 ... I enclosed the top within a box suspended from my ceiling that catches the majority of the fine dust that leaves the bag when I fire it up or passes thru... this fine dust does settle to the floor right under the collector and most of it does not reenter the entire shop...

I also have a much older 1 Hp Penn state unit that I use strictly for my planner... same complaints...it works but the bag is the same as the griz 30.0 microns... if not larger

Neither work well in my opinion with a trash can separator...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

My Grizz 1029Z is 2 weeks old and it catches everything. The top bag is real heavy. If I had one of the older 1029's I would contact Grizz for a price on the new bag.

Reply to
Ace

Well maybe someday I will... IF I ever get around to it...

I am not after a dustless enviroment in my shop all I want the DC to do is keep the shop a "little" cleaner...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.