MLB Bat Rules

Rules of baseball says it has to be one solid piece of wood.

It makes no mention of the type of wood allowed -- so any, one supposes.

Reply to
Michael

You have to think that a bat made from purpleheart or zebrano or karelian birch would look magnificent, but probably not be strong enough for anything but bunting. I note no mention of min/max weight - and I'm sure there must be. So although theoretically any wood could be used for a bat, some (like lignum vitae?) would probably be automatically excluded because of their heaviness.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Purpleheart, at least, would surely be strong enough for a full swing at a Randy Johnson fastball. For bunting, one would want a bat that's nearly as "dead" as possible; cottonwood, basswood, and balsa spring to mind.

Actually, there is neither a minimum nor maximum weight, only maximum diameter and maximum length.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Maybe elm as it is lighter than most hardwoods but not prone to splitting.

I've read that cricket bats are made from willow.

I'd like to see a bat made from persimmon.

Reply to
fredfighter

Golf Ball Bat. ;~) Golf club "Woods" are often made from persimmon.

Reply to
Leon