Why Is There Wreck?

This will not be a reification of the old Cosby enquiry into the philosophy of air, then again...

We Wreck initially because we have a common interest in WoodDorking.

This should pass without comment, as it should be a given.

Let me not let this pass without comment.

There are those who would seem to have no interest in WoodDorking who have come to infest this newsgroup with their nefarious opinions and interests.

These interest are not consanguinary with those of us who would work wood.

The Political Scientologists are those of whom I speak.

Miller and Baldesrstone are true WoodDorkers who are occasionally drawn towards the dark side. Watson is occasionally drawn there too, and hates himself when he has allowed this.

Daneliuck, Barta, etc. have shown no WoodDorking interest and have posted mostly shit.

This is also the case for Enoch root.

What is most disturbing to me is that all of these people seem to be bright and engaging people.

They just don't seem to be able to confine themselves to the topic at hand.

This is about the time that some asshole stands up and parrots, "It's Usenet, Tom. Get over it." ("It's Chinatown, Jake. Get over it".)

You've seen the movie. You get the point.

What do I want out of all this?

I want everything.

I want the intelligence that is embodied in the aforementioned gentlemen to be at least partially directed towards WoodDorking.

Certainly the Messrs Daneliuck, Barta, Root, et al, must have some informed opinions on art, design, techniques, etc. - and I would be damned glad to hear them.

Doug Miller knows a shitload about WoodDorking. So does Davey Balderstone. This has been proven in past postings.

I want them back and on target and I want the newer guys to use their obvious intellectual gifts in the furtherance of our Wrecklish knowledge.

Frankly, I've given up on BAD.

Do I want the conversation to be totally directed towards WoodDorking? Hell no!

I admire the model of the Wreck that describes it as a kind of clubhouse that people gather at to shoot the shit.

Most of the shit is about WoodDorking but, as we are not only WodoDorkers -we will not only speak of WoodDorking.

I enjoy brief interludes of conversation about the events of the day - the recent problem with the Wreck has been that argumentation has taken precedence over the good of the group.

This sort of thing would not occur, with the same people, in a face to face situation - I am almost sure of that.

Why can we not apply the same restraint that we would use in a real world clubhouse to this virtual one?

I stopped posting to the Wreck about a month ago.

Since then I have gotten quite a number of emails describing my action as everything from self indulgent to cowardly.

I would not like to be either.

The kindest emails said that it was understandable.

I am trying to understand better than I have.

I have always enjoyed the Wreck in the past.

I hope that there is some possibility that I can do so in the future.

I will certainly miss the input of Keith Bohn and Paully Rad (rip), and the reduced input of O'Deen, the almost lurkdom of Charlie Self is much to be regretted, Tommy Plamann used to be around much more, as was Phully.

Let's create an environment that would welcome most of them back to full participation.

Let's be self-moderating to the degree that we do not upset our fellow WoodDorkers.

Why Is There Wreck?

Because, at the most basic level, we share a passion for the activity of WoodDorking.

Let's use this Newsgroup to celebrate that.

It is a worthy undertaking.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Well said Tom. Thanks, WoodWizzard On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:55:33 -0700, Tom Watson wrote:

Reply to
WoodWizzard

I don't know, Tom. Gay redneck wooddorkers are hard to resist. :)

But I'll give it a try.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

And it is a worthy dream!

Reply to
stoutman

snip Here, here Tom. Well Said. If I had only half the eloquence that you have with words I would have said the same thing. "Keep on Keeping on" Life's to short to let the bastards win. regards John

Reply to
John B

Tom, you gave us an eloquent goodbye not so very long ago. You said you were leaving, tired of the wreck, and ready for a break.

And then, like JOAT, you're back in less than a month.

You've both done it before.

Honestly, I'd have left this alone entirely had you not used my name (even if you'd spelled it correcthly)... But you just HAVE to, don't you?

Learn to filter, learn to ignore, learn to help others to do the same.

Learn the Standard Advice.

I have a great deal of respect for your dorking ability and your ability to spin a yarn, but dammmittohell you can sure be a pigheaded SOB and you sure do piss me off on a regular basis.

So as a result, I'm taking you out of my killfile. Welcome back, you miserable old coot. You talk too much sense than is good for you.

I'm also saving your post so I can skim it every now and then. Just to, y'know, remember why you piss me off. No other reason. Nothing to do with agreeing wiith your sentiment, respecting your opinion, being glad you're still posting, or remembering why I started hanging around the Wreck in the first place..

Nope. Not me. Nu-uh.

Now, get over it, Watson. This is USENET, after all.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Not that he will ever see my response.

I think I got kill filed back when I tried to tell O'Deen how to use Sheelacky! Oops!

Reply to
stoutman

Who is he talking to?

And how does he make his voice DO that?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Who are YOU talking to?

Reply to
stoutman

I wonder if you can get online group therapy?

Definition Group therapy is a form of psychosocial treatment where a small group of patients (substitute for .rec members . . . ) meet regularly to talk, interact, and discuss problems with each other and the group leader (therapist).

Purpose Group therapy attempts to give individuals a safe and comfortable place where they can work out problems and emotional issues. Patients gain insight into their own thoughts and behavior, (Yes you . . . ) and offer suggestions and support to others. In addition, patients who have a difficult time with interpersonal relationships (yes you again . . . ) can benefit from the social interactions that are a basic part of the group therapy experience.

Precautions Patients who are suicidal, homicidal, psychotic, (probably you . . . ) or in the midst of a major acute crisis are typically not referred for group therapy until their behavior and emotional state have stabilized. (So that rules most of us out then . . . ) Some patients with sociopathic traits are not suitable for most groups.

Risks Some very fragile patients may not be able to tolerate aggressive or hostile comments from group members. (So tell me something I don't know) Patients who have trouble communicating in group situations (You again . . . ?) may be at risk for dropping out of group therapy. If no one comments on their silence or makes an attempt to interact with them, they may begin to feel even more isolated and alone instead of identifying with the group. Therefore, the therapist usually attempts to encourage silent members to participate early on in treatment.

%69%20%6c%6f%76%65%20%77%6f%6f%64%77%6f%72%6b%69%6e%67%20%62%75%74%20%69%6d%20%63%72%61%70

Connor Aston

Reply to
Richard Clements

All that blathering and *I'm* the one you single out. That's pretty funny. I'm flattered in a weird, sick sorta way.

Carry on Beavis...

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Gee, Tom, an endorsement by the creep! What more could you ask for? You have arrived.

Reply to
John

There an elephant in the room you don't mention, Tom, and that lacuna is glaring.

hylourgos

Thanks for that chuckle...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It needed saying, and you said it well.

Thank you, Tom!

Reply to
Swingman

Numbers, they don't really lend themselves to prose...

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I liked the original Jerry Maguire mission statement, "The Things We Think and Do Not Say: The Future of Our Business", better.

RicodJour

Thanks Tom. It's not the same here as before, and the same is true in other newsgroups. I have learned to resist responding to off-topic posts, and to skip posts that are off-topic. This takes a bit more time and I probably miss some good information but there is only so much computer time per day and I'd rather be in the shop. I know that true sawdust makers are very polite and easy-going by nature, never understood this, they just are.

Reply to
Phisherman

Shy, too. Tom

Reply to