MLB Bat Rules

Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are allowed?

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I think sometimes they use cork for inner laminations!

Reply to
stoutman

No.

"1.10 (a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2 3/4 inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood."

Anything you want. Rule 1.10 (d) prohibits the use of colored bats without prior approval, and I imagine that an umpire would look a bit askance at a bat made of, say, purpleheart, under that rule. But a strict reading of the rules would permit it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Maybe.

You edited, Doug...

1.10 (a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2 3/4 inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood. *NOTE: No laminated or experimental bats shall be used in a professional game (either championship season or exhibition games) until the manufacturer has secured approval from the Rules Committee of his design and methods of manufacture.*

(emphasis mine)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Thanks, Doug.

I want to make a bat as a present for a friend of mine who plays in a Senior league that abides by MLB rules.

You kept me from being a little more creative than the rules apparently allow for.

I'm not a fast enough lathe guy to waste time on the road not to be taken.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Ash

Reply to
Leon

"Tom Watson" asks:

Leon answered: > Ash

Is Hickory allowed and/or used?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have seen maple used by some turners.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I saw an interview a while back where a player was saying sometimes depending on the weather they use a different wood. I can't remember whether it was related to how often they'd break or how the ball travelled off it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

No

Only two in use in the MLB are Ash and Maple, whether others would be allowed I do not know.

(sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Read the rules. There is provision for laminated bats to be approved.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The question was not "could they?", but rather "do they?". I don't know if any laminated bats have been approved, but I have a strong suspicion the answer is "no".

todd

Reply to
todd

The question (that you quoted) was "Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?".

The rules state:

"NOTE: No laminated or experimental bats shall be used in a professional game (either championship season or exhibition games) until the manufacturer has secured approval from the Rules Committee of his design and methods of manufacture."

The answer to the question "Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?" is, therefore, "such bats are expressly allowed but require the approval of the Rules Committee".

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Think about the original question. Someone wants to make a bat that complies with the current rules. Until such time as the rules committee says they are allowed, they are not allowed. So the answer for now is "no".

todd

Reply to
todd

Actually, the rules don't say anything about the type of wood. Ash is most common, but it's certainly not the only thing permitted. IIRC, Babe Ruth used bats made of rock maple.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, yes, but until the Rules Committee has actually approved one...

Reply to
Doug Miller

That is assuming that the no laminated bats have been approved. There very well could be some laminated bats that are approved and being used.

Reply to
Leon

I stipulated this in an earlier post. Until someone brings evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming no laminated bats have been approved. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I would think that would have generated at least a mention on the sports radio stations I listen to.

todd

Reply to
todd

Tom,

"...not a fast enough lathe guy..." caught my attention. You already have the "word" on your original query: One piece.

It doesn't take that long. I hadn't used my lathe in maybe 20-25 years when I happened to catch a New Yankee Workshop episode on lathe basics. My grandson -- then almost 8 -- asked if I had such a tool (he loves to watch with me, along with his little sister!). I did, and we went out to the shop to look it over.

Norm Abram ended the show by turning a bat, then going out to Fenway Park where a big leaguer used it in batting practice and knocked one or two over the Green Monster.

So...I go to the hardwood dealer, buy a bat billet, and turn a bat for my grandson. 29" length in exactly the same proportions as one of his aluminum bats. BIG mistake. First batting practice he cracked it! (I'm VERY proud of the guy!) The long, thin handle of an aluminum bat is too long, too thin, and creates a weak spot about where the diameter starts to grow to the barrel.

So...another trip to the hardwood dealer, another billet, and now I pay attention to the shape of other wooden bats. It's heavier than the original, even though I made it only 28" long.

Moral of the story, for the bat for your friend, is find out how long (and how heavy) he wants his bat, then find one that meets his needs and copy it.

By the way, a gouge is a lot easier for me to use than a skew, so almost everything was done with a 3/4" gouge and a parting tool. I used a skew mostly for "smoothing" (along with sandpaper and a rasp).

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

Bonds and serverla other elite players have been using hard maple bats, custom made in Canada. Hickory is also used. Ash is the most common still.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx