Wanted: Example of a false drawer front

I have a client that wants a built-in bench in her dining room with a row of drawers across the front. However, the drawers on the ends will be false due to other design limitations. So, my question is, does anyone have pics of built-ins that have drawers across a unit where some of the drawers are real and some are false? I'm mostly interested in how people have trimmed out false-front drawers to look similar (doen't have to be exact) to real drawers.

I hope this makes sense, and thank you in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Why don't you build all the drawer fronts and just attach the fixed fronts in place?

RicodJour

Well, I was hoping to make the drawers flush or inset, possibly with beading around the perimeters of the drawers. Having them overlay makes them look "boxy". The sample she (client) showed me had them as overlay drawers and I didn't like the look and am going to see if I can't come up with something different and hopefully better. Basically, I want to be able to give her options. I have some ideas in my head, but am also hoping that someone has done something like this already, and even done something I haven't considered, and has pics up on their website or something.

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Make the frames for the false drawers as per the real ones. Make the false drawer fronts the same thickness as the frame. Attach the back of the false drawer front to the back of the frame - couple of full width slats, or what have you. You know that someone will get a foot on the piece trying to get the 'stuck' drawer open, right?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

What I meant was, build the drawer fronts however you want them, and then just attach the false fronts in place. They can be attached in any number of ways. It'll look better with perfectly matched fronts and is simpler than having to have two methods of construction.

RicodJour

Mike:

the top photo the two drawer fronts below the sinks are false.

Not a great picture but HTH.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Thanks Tom. In the first pic, are those overlay drawers or flush? I think the 2nd pic is exactly what I was looking for. Those two drawers in front of the sinks are false with the real drawers shaped to match the profile of the raised panels, right? Or, do the ones in front of the sink flip down for sponges, etc. In any case, I think both are good examples of options that I can use.

Thank you very much.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge