Newbie need help "raising pannel" on small false drawer front.

x-no-archive-yes I am almost done making a knife drawer with removable cutting board for my mother. THis is my first woodworking project. The false drawer front is small, maybe 2 1/2 inches wide by 12 inches long and is 1/2 inch thick. My moms kitchen drawers have that ?raised pannel look. It shows in my book how to tilt the blade to 15 degrees and raise the blade to a certain height depending on the thickness of wood you are using but my wood being only 1/2 inch thick, it is difficult for me to figure out. Can anyone help me or would it look stupid to raise this small a piece of wood?

Also, I have the stain my mom's cabinets are. However, her wood is cherry and I used red oak. Will it look that much different? (It does not matter, just curious).

Thanks again!

Reply to
stryped

Sounds like you plan to use a table saw to make these panels and that presents some problems in itself. To cut a clean panel on a T/S you'll need a very sharp blade to start

- esp using oak. Second, I don't think you can start with 1/2" stock. The lower end of the panel (around the outside edge) should not be less than 3/8" IMO. Start with 1" stock if possible. Based on the size of your drawer front a rasied panel will have to be very modest. Most raised panel cuts are at least an 1 1/4" in width. based on your 2 1/2" size this would not leave any "rasied area".

Anyway, I would suggest you get away from the T/S due to the small size of the panel and consider using a router. While I feel the use of a router for large RP work is not good, a router can make some smaller raised panels quite well.

I also believe the oak will "stand out" from the cherry no matter how you finish it.

Perfection In Wood

Reply to
stryped

Make a little sled for the router to ride on at the angle you want, and set in over the drawer front. Then you can use a regular straight bit.

I'll try and explain this a little better, but it's hard without pictures- cut two square blocks, then trim the top off at an angle to get the bevel you want. Cut two long strips of something stiff, and nail or glue them to the angled cut on the first two blocks with a gap between them for the bit to ride in. Secure the jig somehow (clamps or screws) and slide your drawerfront underneith. Clamp the drawerfront down, and rout with the base of the tool riding on those long strips.

Reply to
Prometheus