mailorder is for the birds

Grizzly makes it clear.... We recommend that you make arrangements with the trucking company to take delivery at the freight terminal if you can. They will load it on your vehicle.

This is what I did with my Grizzly DC. They have forklifts and dollys and such at the trucking terminal and were more than happy to load it into my van (it saves them a trip). They will call you to make arrangements once it gets to the terminal. If you don't have a suitable vehicle, find a friend who does. Offer to take everyone out for beers after its successfully dragged into your shop. If I was getting an 8" planer, I know at least a handful of buddies who'd look forward to helping me get it home and setup. From what I've seen, you can't beat the value with Grizz.

Good luck Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

CT's no different. Buy a vehicle, pay 6% tax on the book value (NOT bill of sale amount), or don't register it in CT. CT dealers collect it, but out of state purchases are taxed at the DMV.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Barry Burke responds:

Jeez. I had the misfortune many years ago to have a Ridgefield, CT mailing address, but was fortunate enough to actually live on Lake Waccabuc in NY. CT doesn't seem to have changed much. It was a place we avoided as teenagers (had to be 21 to drink, whereas NY was 18 and carding was infrequent).

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

I didn't say that I was unaware of that policy. What I'm saying is that in this day and age of lift gate trucks or even a simple built in ramp like all moving trucks have why would you expect your customers to lift extremely heavy boxes for no reason?

I happen to be a disabled veteran who shouldn't lift things over 100 lbs. Less than that really but it's hard to admit you aren't what you used to be.

The R Man

Reply to
prsyscon

Freight companies move stuff from dock to dock. The docks often have forklifts, pallet jacks, extra labor, etc... Freight companies are usually not equipped for residential delivery. So, yes, they do expect the customer to lift heavy boxes, and Grizzly says so right on the site.

Sorry to hear of your injuries. Many freight companies can provide lift gate service and inside delivery, but you should expect to pay for it. In some cases the extra handling and service can cost much more than normal delivery charge.

The phone company I work for has switching centers that are usually not dock equipped, and many don't have the room to maneuver a tractor trailer. We have to have our non-UPS shipments sent to a local mover, who then delivers the shipment to us with lift gate equipped straight trucks and extra manpower. Sometimes we pay hundreds of dollars to have ONE 250 pound pallet accepted, stored, delivered, and brought into the building. It often costs just a little more to have (5) 250 pound pallets delivered than it does for the first.

FWIW, this is where some of the savings of Grizzly and other direct equipment is gained. When you buy a tool via a retailer, the retailer adds the cost of local handling and delivery to the wholesale cost of the tool, therefore driving the retail price up.

Grizzly also removes the middleman's profit. In some cases, that middleman EARNS his profit by acting on behalf of his customer for warranty claims, parts support, etc... A good retailer might "borrow" a much needed, back ordered part off of an in-stock tool to keep a good customer up and running. Mail order vendors, such as Amazon, and poorly operated local retailers are unlikely to do this.

This is why I figure the total _value_ of buying tools locally in addition to the bottom line price. In your case, becoming a regular customer at a local dealer may cost a few bucks more, but it could gain you delivery at a reasonable price, setup assistance, etc...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I really wish I could agree with you. Overall, I've had much worse service with the local guys than I've had with Lee Valley, Amazon, Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Rockler, etc.

I really would rather buy local, but they sure do make it hard. Yesterday at Sears it took 3 clerks and >1) Ordered a JDS air cleaner from Amazon on the 17th, still hasn't

Reply to
Jim K

Don't know what to tell you other than perhaps you should have bought from a catalog where company is not just though Amazon.

I thought Grizzly stated that they ship by common carrier and that it was dropped at curb, etc. and your responsibiltiy beyond that? I've never ordered something large from Grizzly and have known of this.

While it would be nice for these folks to call you daily with the status of your item, it would be nice of them to e-mail as well. Why they don't, well when you shop price, *customer service* is the first thing to often be cut. US buyers always want to shop price, but then are upset when there is no service. Remember Ben Franklin...didn't he say something like, "long after the victory of low price is the bitterness of poor quality!"

How do you figure that collecting sales tax will force companies to have better service? One does not have any connection to the other. OTOH, maybe you know something I don't.

Are you just a mal-content or do problems find you?

Reply to
Kirby