What Is Your Star Rating Criteria For Making A Purchase?

How do you use the 5 Star rating system to make a decision?
Do you have number, such as 80% 4★ or above with 70% being 5? ?, or something like that?
Obviously, we have to toss the irrelevant reviews like:
2★ - I bought this for my daughter and she hates the color. 1★ - This sink doesn't fit in the hole I have in my counter.
But in general, do you have a "system" or is it just gut feel after reviewing the reviews?
On 3/11/2017 10:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I look at them all, unless there are thousands, then I just sample, and consider the average as most important.
On 3/11/2017 10:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If it has more than about 10% one star I am cautious but more than 20% I will pass. You can give people a stack of $100 bills and there will be those few that will complain about something.
I just ordered a Toslink cable. I looked at four of them, Three had 1 star reviews with the same complaint about the fit. 10%, 4%, 4%. Then another brand that cost a dollar more had no bad reviews out of 966. I'll spend another buck to eliminate the potential for problems.
I've been fortunate as nothing I bought on line had to be returned. I do some research though. Amazon has been a major source of "stuff" for me but I have bought elsewhere. If I can buy the same item locally at close to the same price I will as it give me a chance to touch the item too.
Per DerbyDad03:

Mainly gut feel, but for big stuff I resort to a system where I write down the objective followed by "Musts" and "Wants".
The "Musts" become go-no-go's.
Each "Want" is assigned a weight and for each proposed solution, I add a value as to how well is satisfies the "Want".... then I multiply and add....
If nothing else, it becomes a good communication device to smoke out where somebody really is in the decision-making process.
I think it goes by the name "Kepner-Trego Decision Analysis".
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 07:18:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Depends on the item. I canceled my subscription to Consumers Reports many years ago because their car surveys were far from my reality. They used circles instead of stars. In general if the item is on Amazon I look for a 3 star minimum. Having hundreds of reviews simplifies the winnowing process. Occasionally, if there aren't enough reviews, I'll go as low as 2 1/2 stars. Did that with a washing machine and a motherboard, and had no problems with either. But felt compelled to buy a replacement warranty for the washer, which added a couple hundred to the price.
On 3/11/2017 1:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My caveat with Amazon reviews is that Amazon will request you doing them when you have not yet even opened the package or just opened it. When the purchase is time tested, your opinion of it could change considerably.
On 3/11/2017 1:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Cancelled many years ago for the same reason. What they considered a fault on an appliance I thought was one of the best features. They definitely have a bias.

This became blatantly apparent when CR rated a Toyota vehicle as being superior to a similar GM branded vehicle. Turns out both vehicles were the exact same vehicle produced on the exact same factory assembly line (Fremont, CA, NUMMI plant).
IOW, zero difference, other than the biased reviews. ;)
nb
On 3/11/17 1:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Consumer Reports is handy because it will bring up issues I wouldn't have thought of on my own. That said, they're tree huggers. And I get the idea kids would never be able to run without helmets if CR writers had their way.
On 03/11/2017 12:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[snip]

They changed that. Now its:
2 up arrows (much better than average) up arrow (better than average) vertical line (average) down arrow (worse than average) 2 down arrows (much worse than average)
Supposed to be more understandable than the old way (with the filled red or black circles)
[snip]
Per DerbyDad03:

I missed the point of the OP first time around....
I look at the Amazon reviews a couple different ways.
First thing, I look for 4-5 stars average.
then I select the low reviews (1 and 2 stars) and read through some of them - trying so spot some quality or basic design issue.
Then I select all reviews and look for situations where shills are posting fake positive reviews - there's a certain feel to the descriptive language that will make me conclude it's a fake review.
--
Pete Cresswell

I've been caught in that exact same situation, only I lost.
Amazon had 100+ five-star reviews, witha nary a single negative. Turns out the item was junk and I re-evaluated those positive reviews and finally noticed they all used similar terms to describe the item. This after being a Prime member fer a couple yrs. Fortunately, I spent less than $20 on this particular Amazon scam. ;)
nb
says...

I always get suspicious of anything that has all positive reviews. As someone mentioned it people were given $ 100 bills someone would complain about the color, or not being fresh enough, or some other equally negative review.
Unless I know someone whose opinion I value has one I try not to buy that item.
On 03/11/2017 03:31 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[snip]

I do too. I look for a high percentage (but not 100%) of positive reviews.

BTW, The last $100 bill I saw looked more blue than green. That is NOT a complaint.

I recently got a defective product from Amazon. They do make returns easy.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/12/2017 4:17 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yes.

So, yer saying Amazon has excellent shipping, but zero quality assurance?? I can agree with that. ;)
nb
On 3/12/2017 5:11 PM, notbob wrote:

Nope, not at all. I've placed hundreds of orders and only had one defective item. They replaced it and I did not have to send the defect back. I placed 56 orders in 2016 and 8 so far this year.
I just bought a Samsung 4K TV, 55". It would be a PITA for me to pick it up and haul home. Amazon has a scheduled delivery service included in the price. Two guys delivered it, unpacked, assembled, took away the packing material. Same price as the competition.
I also watched "The Grand Tour" today in 4K from Prime. They are doing a lot of programming in 4k. The new season of Bosch starts soon.
Per notbob:

I would think that part of their quality assurance is not charging Prime customers shipping on returns. ... i.e. if somebody's shipping junk, the return costs come back to bite them.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per notbob:

I am totally hooked on Amazon Prime: free shipping, and returns are about as painless as they can be.
I want to return something:
- Click on the "Return" option
- Print out the FedEx (or is it UPS?) label.
- Box the item, stick on the label
- Either find a UPS/FedEx truck or drop it off at the nearby facility.
No shipping costs on the return, no if's-and's-or-but's... a beautiful thing.... unless, of course, you are brick-and-mortar merchant.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 5:20:43 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'll agree with the painless returns, but don't be fooled by the "free shipping".
Less than a minute ago I ordered an new clock movement for my classic "circular saw blade shop clock".
$11.99 Prime, arrives by March 14.
$10.99 with free shipping from a different seller, arrives March 14-17. If things go as they typically do, it'll be here no later than the 15th, but even the 17th is fine.
The other day I was looking at LED bulbs for my trailer. $12.98 Prime, $9.99 + $2.99 shipping ($12.98) from a different seller. So maybe they show up a day or 2 later. Rarely is the shipping time that critical, at least not for me.
What some folks call "free shipping" with Prime, I usually describe as "free guaranteed 2 day delivery". That's what you actually get with Prime, but it's often built into the price and subsidized by your membership fee.
Now, one thing I am impressed with as far as Amazon goes is their phone-based customer service. I don't think I've ever been on-hold for even a minute waiting for a rep. I don't know how many call centers they have or how big they are, but for a company with as many customers as Amazon to have virtually no wait time for a live person is pretty amazing.