Which is the best mailorder for vegetable Seeds etc

Which is the best mailorder company for ordering vegetable

seeds ?

Reply to
Paul Fosbury

As asked I don't think a sensible answer is possible.

What do you mean by best? What outcome are you after? How would mail order seeds be restricted by quarantine regulations where you live?

David Hare-Scott

The one that has the variety you want and viable seed?

I ended up buying tomatoes seed from one outfit, beans from another, peppers from a 3d, a squash from ebay, and a few seeds from the local garden center.

In the past I've done fine with what the garden center offered.

Your UK mileage might vary.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The questions posed in the other responses are good.

I will add that I have enjoyed the results from seeds I've purchased from:

(not sure if they have veggie seeds, but excellent wildflower seed source)

Let me also introduce you to:

's a fabulous resource for people who do mail order.

Have fun!

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

It's the one that sells what you want at prices you're willing to pay with service you find pleasing. As long as we're naming favorites, I've been pleased for many years with "Thompson & Morgan", a U.K. breeder/seller with an efficient North American distribution center. T&M has two separate web sites for U.K.-Europe and North America, respectively. T&M is my _only_ source for "Delinel" filet beans because they are really real "French" beans -- seeds grown in France and packed in U.K. In U.S.A. many small-time operators on the web are reselling T&M seeds but one must ask the direct question in order to find out. My current "favorite" for a wide selection of "heirloom" and organic veggie varieties that interest me is "Sustainable Seed Co.", suggested to me by another newsgroupie, and on the web at . My present "never-again" or "cold day in hell" list consists only of "Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds", on the web at . I can't fault the products but their customer service and certain of their business practices are not my cup of tea; YMMV.

Reply to
Derald

Derald wrote: ...

aside from the customer service from any on-line company being a likely suspect...

what business practices are those?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I don't understand, Baker Creek and Johnny's are my favorite sources. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Nah, not going to get into it here. Perhaps "business practices" was not the correct term. More a customer relations issue that left a bad taste in my mouth but certainly nothing in the least dishonest or deceptive. I did not intend to imply otherwise!

Reply to
Derald

Never tried Johnny's. Baker Creek is honest and reliable with a good selection but a couple of peculiarities in their system just rub me the wrong way. ->Trivial

Reply to
Derald

i'm not associated with them in any manner, but i find it disheartening when people make negative comments about a company in public but then won't talk about why.

my e-mail address works if you want to say something. i am always curious about what experiences people have with on-line sites.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Good Lord; it's trivial but annoying and a pet peeve: Baker Creek punishes first-time buyers with unbidden and unwanted mailings while providing no means of opting out. Getting off their mailing list is a challenge which, so far, has included telephone and email requests along with enduring a Gene Autry record -- subjecting callers to a Gene Autry record simply is abusive ;-) As it was explained to me, their software harvests customers' names automagically and cannot be overridden. I've even promised not to buy from them again, if they'll just refrain from sending me their landfill. Email correspondence as recently as

11 May from the self-described "keeper of the list" informs that she has "physically removed" my name from their "existing lists" (which I really believed already to have been accomplished a year ago) and has "made a note in our system to not mail you a catalog" but can make no guarantee. No mention of "future lists". Yes, I know that very many people consider mail-order catalogs to be entertaining reading and a valuable resource but I'm not among those. No, I don't believe for a moment B.C. will specifically miss my piddling contributions to their revenue.
Reply to
Derald

:) thank you for saying it all.

i'm pretty much in the same boat you are. we hate starting any new relationship with any seller because they all assume we want their junk mail. even when we tell them that we don't want to get any, that we don't want to be on their list it seems they'll ignore the request and then sell it to everyone they can.

every time i use the credit card with a new company i shudder at what i might be setting in motion.

95% of the junkmail we recieve never makes it out of the post office. they've set up a recycling bin there and in it goes. the rest i bring home and shred for the bins.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Exactly so. I don't like the presumption that just because I've placed a small order, I want to be their friend.

I know what you mean but DW&I don't do that. Each of us has a small checking account in a completely separate bank from savings and primary checking accounts. We use the debit cards that are linked to those respective accounts exclusively for online purchases, automatic subscription renewals, and the like and transfer funds into it only when they're needed. Contrary to popular myth "brand name" debit/check cards carry precisely the same guarantees (and some offer the same cash-back deals) as their brand-name credit counterparts. I know from experience that, in case of a disputed transaction, the funds are replaced until it's resolved. At any rate, if someone wants to steal the card number and get access to that account, he ain't gonna get much cash or screw up my credit. It seems that it would be simple enough to establish a credit card account with a sufficiently low limit to protect oneself from disaster and reserve it for special purposes such as online purchases. Ah, well. Now you know my pet peeve. Let's get back to gardening and let this branch die, if you will.

Reply to
Derald

liable for the first $500 in fraudulent charges on your credit card and your homeowners should cover that.

Reply to
Steve Peek

I can understand why someone might not want to say anything specific in a public forum. Litigation is all too easy.

I'd call that crappy software. It should be corrected ASAP.

I've even promised not to buy from them again, if they'll

They may not, but that's not why you were complaining. :-)))

Reply to
FarmI

That is as may be but avoiding unnecessarily dealing with institutional wage slaves and insurance pukes is worth the minor hassle and far more to me than the alledged $500 limitation of liability. YMMV

Reply to
Derald