Delta 36-717 vs Grizzly 1023SL

Ok, I have searched this group and read a lot about both of these saws. I was at my local tool shop yesterday and was checking out the

36-717. A nice looking saw, but I did notice the table extension right of the blade was not aligned to the table. This caused the Beisemeyer fence to hang up. Blade guard was interesting, but I do most of my work without the guard. I like the cabinet, much nicer than my Sears contractor saw. Not to sure about the motor and power though. 220 would be great. What would Woodcraft try to sell me?

For a *little* more money I can pick up the 1023SL, which is one heck of a saw for the money (from what I have read). I have not had an opportunity to put my hands on this saw.

My question is what Delta/Jet saw would be in the price range of the Grizzly? What are the drawbacks of mail ordering the 1023SL? What about accessories? I would think that I could walk into almost any woodworking store and pick up Delta goodies. The Grizzly would be all mail order. How does the shipping work? Is this a UPS/FedEx handled shipment? Do you pick up the saw at UPS/FedEx and if so how will the saw be placed in my truck? If delivered, I need to request a truck with a ramp or I will have to unload by hand; correct?

Matt

Reply to
Matt

| The Grizzly would be | all mail order. How does the shipping work? Is this a UPS/FedEx | handled shipment? Do you pick up the saw at UPS/FedEx and if so how | will the saw be placed in my truck? If delivered, I need to request | a truck with a ramp or I will have to unload by hand; correct?

Correct. Freight, not UPS/FedEx. You'll probably want to request delivery on a truck with a lift gate.

Morris Dovey

What

I would not worry about accessries. most of the interfaces are standard: 5/8 arbor for blades, 3/4 miter slot Azero clearance insert can (and should) be made by you.

LTL (less than truckload) freight. In my limitted experience the carrier would not even bother sending a truck without a liftgate to to a residential address. It would be a huge waste of everyone's time. Liftgate service is an extra, for which they *can* charge extra, although I never have. If you want to go to the freight terminal with a pickup, they would be more than happy to put the pallet in the bed of your pickup with a fork lift.

Is this a UPS/FedEx handled

Nowadays, Fedex and UPS to LTL, but it would just as likely be some local outfit. Griz picks the initial carrier. The carrier may choose to subcontract final delivery.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

What did we ever do without the internet? I am sitting here in Mi and I got info from Iowa-Morris and Steve. Sorry, i just thought that was cool......

OK, freight delivered to my house. I am assuming that all the parts are on the pallet and wrapped up. Will the components get broken down on the truck and given to me or will they offload the palet in my driveway/street? Thats how they deliver two truckloads of deck wood, by dropping it in the street.

What about the 1023SL? Who has one and what do you think?

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Call Grizzly. I'm sure they have answered the same questions you are asking thousands of times. Parts? Components? On a cabinet table saw? Other than the fence, and maybe the blade guard, its all together. On a contractor saw the motor would not be installed. But the Grizzly saw you mention is a cabinet saw with the motor inside. You are not buying a model car you put together yourself with glue. Liftgate service means they get it from the truck bed to the ground, via a liftgate. I suspect they would have a pallet jack on the truck and would help you move the pallet with the jack to your garage and off the street. If you lived on a gravel road and a pallet jack would be of no use on the ground, then the liftgate service would likely end when the pallet was on the ground and you would have to figure a way to get it from wherever its placed to wherever you want it. I suspect if possible the truck would back into your drive/lane and put the pallet in a somewhat convenient spot on the ground. But if you live up a very steep drive with several turns in it, then the truck would use its liftgate to put the pallet on the ground at the road, where the truck can easily drive.

Reply to
russellseaton1

It is.

The later. They really would rather not hang around while you tear open packaging. On both big deliveries, the drivers had a pallet jack, with which they used to move the pallet around the truck, and subsequently into my garage.

The 1023SL will come as the cabinet/motor/top as one 250 lb unit and everything else (wings, fence, guard ext. table) as one or two additional cartons which may or may not be strapped to the same pallet.

-Steve (NY State)

Reply to
Stephen M

Matt, I have a 1023Z (3HP version of the 1023ZX) and really like it.

The delivery was a little tricky for me. The saw was part of a larger tool order from Grizzly. The carrier sent out a 45' trailer. The driver was not comfortable backing the rig up my driveway...about 1500' and up hill.

We took my van down to the street and used a pair of 7' ramps to slide the tools from the trailer into the van. Took the van back up the drive and used the ramps to slide the tools into the garage. The second move was my responsibility. Everything except the saw body was in the house by the time my wife got home that evening.

I unpacked the cabinet and set it up on a very heavy furniture dolly to roll it from the garage to the basement (no stairs).

I was able to set the saw up (attach the wings, the rails and set the fence) without any help. I was even able to set it on the mobile base without any help. That took a little planning, but it is doable.

As for the saw (1023s are pretty much the same), it was a very good purchase. I did not have to make any adjustments to the alignment. Mine came with the G4723 Shop Fox Fence. It is heavy and tough.

The only accessory that I have had to buy directly from Grizzly was a couple of Zero Clearance Inserts.

The only problems I have had was that I have stalled the saw twice: once while ripping a warped and twisted 2x6 with a dull blade, and once while ripping an

8' piece of 3/4" oak plywood with a cheap HSS plywood blade. Changing the blades to sharp carbide blades in both cases took care of the problem. Some day I will learn throw those junk blades away. :-)

The saw is set up for 220VAC. I do a lot of dado work using a Freud 8" Dado set. Even deep Dados don't bog down. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

The 36-717 and the 1023 are different saws. A better comparison would be with the Delta 'Unisaw'.

This was caused by inept set-up and not following the directions. You will not have this problem if you setup the saw correctly.

They will try and sell you what they have in stock if they are smart. maybe not whats best for you.

I have this saw and love it. I have the 220v, 3hp, right tilt.

The hybrid you are looking at or a Steel City hybrid.

What are the drawbacks of mail ordering the 1023SL?

No instant gratification

What

Most things you would add are compatible.

The Grizzly would be all

Freight to your house or pick up at local terminal. You should request lift gate service when ordering. There may be an extra charge. Me, I have a pickup truck so I just pick up at freight terminal.

Is this a UPS/FedEx handled

Where are you located? If close you could check mine out. If you are close to a grizzly store you could go see in person.

Reply to
Noo

I disagree. If they are thinking long-term they will sell you what you need, whether or not its in stock. That way later on you realize that they give good advice and you keep going back.

Pushing what they have in stock is fine for short-term profitability, but not a recipe for long-term respect.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Noo, I am located in Michigan. Thanks for the comments.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

If you are not completely stuck on the 1023SL, the 1023S is pretty much the same machine without the left-tilt. Their site says the SL splitter is updated but I have never seen one. I have owned a 1023S for about five years and I am completely satisfied with the machine and Grizzly.

One guy answered "no instant gratification." Gratification came pretty quick for me. I placed an internet order at around 11:00 one evening and the trucker called about 36 hours later wanting instructions.

A lot of accessories are pretty much generic. I can buy inserts, splitters, featherboards and other stuff from local stores. The Shop Fox Fence is a favored aftermarket accessory for some other saws. As I mentioned above, Grizzly is pretty responsive. I have ordered other tools and they seldom take a full week to arrive. I had a problem with a hand-held spindle sander last year and they asked me to return it for evaluation. I had a new one within a week or so. We live in Wichita, Kansas which is about 250 miles from the Springfield Store.

Mine came via an independent trucking company. I drove my pickup to the depot and a couple of their guys loaded the boxes into my truck. I drove home and got a couple of the neighborhood guys to help me slide it down my ramps. If you pick it up, I'll give you a some hints: 1) You can partially unpack it before you take it off of the pickup. Open the carton and remove the wings. That, alone, will reduce the weight of the main carton substantially. 2) Do buy a mobile base. 3) Do not assemble anything until the saw is on the mobile base. I tied the mobile base to the shipping pallet and it was pretty easy for wife and I to slide it from pallet to the mobile base. Then assemble the saw. 4) The Shop Fox fence will come in a separate box and it, itself, and it is heavy. Again, no assembly until it is on the base.

By contrast, our son-in-law ordered a Grizzly G0500 8" jointer and one of their bigger drill presses and had the trucking company deliver. They did have a lift gate on the truck. But the driver wouldn't even help push it off onto the driveway. I think picking it up yourself and arranging help, at your convenience, is the way to go.

Grizzly's customer service used to provide names and phone numbers of up to two customers, within your area, that made similar purchases. I imagine they still do. This is voluntary, on the customer's part, but might give you an opportunity to see a machine and talk to the owner before you jump off. I did this and the experience provided good feedback.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

It's about to get cooler, still, Matt. Whereabouts in MI? I'm in Detroit and grew up (more or less ;-) Downriver.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Never throw a blade away ... that's what clock-kits are for. ;-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

We took a similar approach when my G0444Z arrived (not as heavy as the

1023, but tough for two guys to manhandle to the ground from a semi- trailer). I live in a cul-de-sac with the garage accessible only by a circuitous ally and the driver wanted no part of that. I pulled my pickup around and the height difference between the two was small enough that we could slide the cartons into the bed of the P/U. We had to take them off the pallets though, which was good because the driver didn't mind hauling them away, saving me the trouble.

Bottom line, they may or may not show up with a lift gate unless you specifically request it, and there may be a fee associated with that. As I recall, Grizzly makes that very clear during the order process.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

As reported, the Grizzly is 1023 is a great saw especially for the money, although I would prefer a rear lock on the shop fox fence as with large sheet cuts and inexperienced helpers its too easy to get a bit off track. Other than that, its an animal. I have a decent blade and have never ever come close to bogging it down, it has scary power (stand to the side when possible so you protect your crotch from kickbacks). And use a heavy cord as an extension if you go that route, mine allows the thing to wheeled out in the driveway for less dust. My exenstion cord is about 2x as heavy looking as the stock cord that comes with it, I can't remember the gauge when I made it but it is big. Thought about running it all the way to the switch but figured I doing enough over-kill as it was....

Reply to
scott

Thanks for all the help fellas. Lots of great info. I cannot wait to order the Grizzly, but must sell my existing saw first.

Matt

Reply to
Matt