interesting 3d cad program

Mr. Clarke,

Here's a nice example for you (I just ran across at random)! The girl was only 6 years old too! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That explains much. When you've actually had a programming job get back to us.

That's nice. Did you create them by pointing and clicking on web sites?

Why don't you provide us with an example that lets me query, say, the policy database at a Fortune 100 life insurance company with spoken words.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's nice. When that 8 year old girl enters ""SELECT * from LEFT JOIN users, administrators where ID='';DROP TABLE administrators; -- 10T' order by name;", get back to us.

No, don't bother. Not interested in more crap from some theoretician.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Jack wrote in news:o40k2j$l61$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Bad UI is kiling Windows. Cell phones are taking over because the experience is usually much better.

There was a quote from Bill Gates I came across a few months ago: "Microsoft is always 2 years from being out of business." He knew if he didn't keep the company innovating and at least producing usable stuff, they'd be gone really fast. Too bad has successor doesn't seem to understand that... We might not have a Microsoft soon. (As bad as M$ can be, Apple and Google are worse.)

It's worth the time to install Perl or something. I tried Power Shell, it was a bigger piece of junk than batch files, and doing intelligent things with batch files is pretty awful.

The fellow who created the registry had one thing to say about it: I'm sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.

There's a few good things the registry is good at, but it's such a mine field I don't know what that thing hasn't been replaced yet. The problem was a configuration file would take 4K on disk because of a 4K sector size, but only had 16 bytes. It's no big deal now, we've got tons of 4K sectors but that kind of waste is why modern systems run so slowly compared to their late-90's counterparts.

Like I said, Windows used to be really really good. Windows 7 is fantastic in terms of UI, it's set the standard for many UIs and then Microsoft screwed everything up completely.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I told you that I have programmed for a living (not including teaching other how to). To seem to be of the opinion that the only way to query a database is directly with SQL. I'm telling you it ain't so. We are not talking about creating and populating a database through a phone- just doing the majority of things (which you might properly called "canned transactions"). Get off of your high horse, Mr. SQL Clarke. SQL was designed to be easy to use. Evidently, it's so easy a 6-year old can use it...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

By that time, IBM was continuing development of OS/2 alone. OS/2 actually started out as a joint venture between M$ and IBM, but M$ eventually pulled out.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I disagree with that completely. I can't imagine Sketchup on a phone. Phones are great as always-with-me devices but they don't in any way replace a decent display, keyboard, lots of memory, and processing power.

Certainly innovation is the key to survival but (at least) one of these companies is going to surive.

So far (a week), I've found Win10 to be acceptable (too early to tell more). It seems to have taken the best (very little) of Win8 and grafted it onto Win7. It's much smoother with a touchscreen than Win7 but functions in a similar manner.

Reply to
krw

The problem the registry was intended to address was relocation on a network. Look at the design of it, and it's quite clever--it splits things out into user-specific and hardware-specific sections so that when a user moves to a different workstation with different hardware, only the parts of his configuration that are hardware independent get copied.

The reason it's such a mess is that software vendors don't document the configuration of their software and often put pieces in the wrong locations.

Windows 8 was a mess, Windows 10 is kind of growing on me.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Cell phones have remarkable processing power-- they're solidly into '70s supercomputer territory--but desktops today are real monsters--if you know how to use it any decent gamer rig can turn out trillions of operations a second.

But the screen real estate is the real kicker-- if I want to spend a thousand bucks I can have

20 square feet of screen real estate and all of it sharp.

The worrisome thing is that it might be Google, whose philophy seems to be "all your data are belong to us"--somebody sent me an email confirming an appointment the other day and Google managed to extract the details and add them to my calendar without my asking, which is cool as Hell from one viewpoint but scary as all getout from another.

And works well without a touchscreen.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep, if the squirrels haven't gotten them I may still have OS/2 1.something on Microsoft- labelled diskettes upstairs. I didn't own anything on which it would install until Warp was already out so I never got to play with it-- if I come across it again I might take a shot at putting on one of my Model 70s and see if it goes.

Reply to
J. Clarke

70s supercomputers didn't have multi-gigabit-per-second graphics interfaces. That takes CPU, as well as GPU, power.

For low values of "sharp". You can't drive much higher resolution than 4K with current hardware.

M$ isn't any different, if you believe their EULA.

Not sure what your point is, above. A touchscreen is another, valuable, tool. It's almost as useful as it is on a phone. The difference is that a phone is useless without it.

Reply to
krw

So?

It seems to have escaped your notice that a modern GPU can be used for purposes other than showing pretty pictures on a screen. In fact the manufacturers of those GPUs sell different versions of them that eliminate the video components completely that are intended to be used as computation engines.

That would be news to nvidia. All their version

10 boards handle 7680 x 4320.

Microsoft doesn't snoop every search you make on the Internet and then fill your screen with ads based on the stuff you searched.

Windows 8 didn't work well without a touchscreen. Windows 10 does. Our work laptops have touchscreens. Nobody uses them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Win 8 worked fine without a touch screen if one dumped the MS tile stuff and used Classic Shell, Start8, etc. Of course, it lacked Win 10 goodies such as Edge, Cortana and forced updates.

Reply to
dadiOH

You're the one who equated a '70s supercompuer to a cell phone. I'm pointing out that that's a false comparison.

No, it hadn't escaped my notice but it's completely irrelevant.

You don't know that and their EULA makes them the *OWNER* of everything you do. I know pwople who can't run Windows because of legal restrictions are contrary to the M$ EULA. The same people don't use Google, for the same reasons.

Same, same.

I didn't think it worked well with a touchscreen. It's always blocked. Either way, Win8 was a loser. Win10 seems to be much more robust.

I've used a touch screen on my home laptops for five years and wouldn't give it up (on a laptop). I'm not sure I'd use it on a 27" workstation screen (even connected to a laptop), mainly because it would be beyond my reach. I sure would use it on a work laptop but my CPoE doesn't buy them. The laptops they buy are pretty lame. The whole IT department is worse than lame.

Reply to
krw

I did factorial 1000 in 11 1/2 hours on my old 8080 in Basic. Then I did it in machine language and it was down to 3+ hours. 1977.

I then ported it to an updated AT computer - 16 bit not 8 and it was in floating point - and Double precision... Pig. It took days.

I didn't use high math - only integer. Integer on new computers drove them crazy.

Both computers used printers at the end. The program came up and paused asking for printer service. So they could be turned on set up and made sure the paper was correct. (single shot of printout) - never changed that. The 8080 used a daisy wheel printer with 132 column paper. The AT used an OKI 132 column paper. Both had tractors.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I wasn't clear, I meant, "well it ran all 3, [win3.1], DOS and OS/2 concurrently and seamlessly. I thought it ran 95 also, and it was 98 that MS screwed up sufficiently to block OS/2 from running it. All I can say to you is, What Difference, at this point, does it make? It was a long time ago and my memory isn't perfect, win3.1 win95, win98 all equally junkware.

Reply to
Jack

Well DOS batch were/are real crap, perfect example of Gate's stupidity. UNIX Bourne, bash, cshell etc batch programing, combined with AWK, GAWK SED was/is sweet and unlike DOS crap, can do most anything. REXX is even better and super easy to learn and use.

Yeah, well that hasn't helped anyone feel better about it.

Personally, I think millions of new computers have been sold because the registry became totally F***ed up and people just went out and bought a new computer.

Like I said, OS/2 was the only "windows" that actually worked. It worked perfect, really, really, really a lot better than any version of windows. XP, 7 and 10 are OK, but they are still far behind OS/2 in most everything, including stability and ease of use. Take a look at your start up files in Services and see what a convoluted mess win is. It's a wonder this crap even works at all.

Reply to
Jack

Yeah, that is why he is such a failure. Probably living in his parent's basement.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

...snip...

I installed hundreds of Radio Shack TRS-80 word processing systems for a Fortune 500 company back in the 80's. They all came with a RS Daisy Wheel printer.

The systems were so bad that the first thing we had to do was open up every keyboard and ground the plastic case to the circuit board to try and eliminate static electricity issues. Even on systems where this was done, there were situations where you could walk over to the system, tap the case of the keyboard and the printer would spit out a single character.

That didn't do much more than waste a sheet a paper. In other cases, the static would corrupt either the 8" floppy that held the WP program or one of the data floppies that held the user documents.

In the worst cases, we ran a ground wire to the building's sprinkler system pipes and attached it to one of those velcro grounding bracelets that come with memory modules. The users were required to put the bracelets on their wrist before touching the system.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think you are probably right on that count but I do not think it is a fault of Microsoft rather the programs that are added/installed over the years.

I have no issue with Win 7 on my or Win 10 on my wife's computer. Mine is 6 years old and has been extremely stable as has been for my wife's since upgrading to 10 in the spring.

Both of ours were custom built by a neighbor and absolutely no bloatware was installed. IMHO it is all that bloatware, that manufacturers install with new computers, is the source of problems that pop up.

Before I began adding programs to my computer 6 years ago I pretty only saw the Window logo screen for a second or two after seeing the mother board screen and before the desk top appeared. The Windows logo was animated and I never saw it completely do its thing before the desk top was visible. Today boot up time is around 30 seconds to get to the desk top.

OH and keep HP and Norton products off of your computer.

Reply to
Leon