Reply to
woodchucker

And the same to you and your family!

Reply to
Swingman

Thank you and the same to you!

Reply to
Leon

May everyone here have a merry and safe Christmas and may your new year be full of saw dust.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news:tiit5c9env674b7n1ug9vgfsl23qlsm31k@

4ax.com:

Gee, Thanks, krw. Now my calendar is full of saw dust!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Right back at 'cha!

Safe travels to everyone who will be on the roads visiting friends and family during this holiday season.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ditto that !

I was out on Christmas Eve - and as usual, had a few too many -

- thankfully I still had enough good-sense to realize that I was well over the limit - and decided to do something I?ve never done before -

- I took a taxi home ! Sure enough on the way home there was a police spot-check, but since it was a taxi they waved it past and I arrived home safely without incident. How lucky I chose to take a taxi ! But this morning - in the clear light of day - I started to ponder the situation - I had never driven a taxi before. I don?t know where I got it, and now that it?s in my garage I don?t know what to do with it. So, anyway, if you want to borrow it give me a call. John T.

Reply to
hubops

In a few more years you're going to have to start explaining to people what a "taxi" is.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And to all of you, and yours.

Remembering the Reason for the Season.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

My right arm is pretty much immobilized after shoulder surgery, so woodworking is out for a few weeks. For Christmas I got some material to practice my carving. You wouldn't believe how much fun it is carving something from a lump of coal!

Merry Christmas!

Reply to
G. Ross

If you put a small lump in the right place, the next morning you'll have a diamond. Use a little lube to insert it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Best holiday wishes to you, woodchucker, and each of my friends here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm late... so Happy New Year!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 8:46:29 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrot e:

We drove from Massachusetts to Western NY mid-afternoon on Monday. I was towing a lightly loaded 5 x 8 enclosed trailer with a Honda Odyssey.

It was pretty windy with mostly a headwind but some sideway gusts. No big deal, I've been towing for years. This is nothing. Somewhere between Albany and Syracuse it started raining - hard. OK, rain is better than snow. Then I looked at the external temperature reading: 28°F! Well that sucks.

Ice started to form on the windshield but the defroster made quick work of that. It was the roads I was worried about. I, along all the 18 wheelers, slowed to about 45 MPH and put our flashers on. The salt trucks were out so the roads were just wet in *most* spots, but there were spots that were pretty slick. Other people were still flying by at 70+.

Not surprising, the idiots got what they deserved. A few miles later, we were stuck in traffic, merging right to let the emergency vehicles go by.

4 separate vehicles up against the center guardrail or off into the snow packed median.

I hope that only their vehicles (and their pride) were hurt.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ahh... a typical NYS Thruway experience... I've seen it many times. ;~) I'd been running up the Thruway regularly since 1990 but in the past few years I've mostly telecommuted and avoided the show.

One time I saw an ambulance sitting up on top of the guard rail in the median. This after it went by me without any emergency lights on at an unreasonable speed... That was fine until it spun out and ended up on the guard rail. I could see in the back as I went by and there was no patient being transported. I suspect the driver had some "splainin to do." :~)

The other extreme was the time time I saw a Ferrari parked in the median and a flat bed tow truck pulling over. That guy had the sense to have the thing towed instead of trying to drive it on a snowy road. He apparently has the brains to go with the money!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

81 can be worse than 90. I used to run the 90-81-17-87 route to NYC.

It was fairly common to see headlights pointing skyward from the vehicles that slid off into the valleys that served as the median. 81 is much more hilly than 90.

I just missed one on 90 a few years back. We drove by a SUV that was on it's side with 2 guys standing on "top" helping the occupants climb out. I know we must have just missed it because there wasn't even any rubber- necking delays yet. Just the SUV on it's side and 2 other cars parked on the shoulder.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

woodchucker was heard to mutter:

Merry Christmas to one and all! And a very Happy 2017 New Year!

Reply to
Casper