interesting 3d cad program

have been trying out a program for making 3d models called openscad
instead of clicking a mouse to create your object you define it programatically
so far just playing with it to understand how it works
not sure how to generate dimension text
the syntax is not too abstract but it is an entirely new way to design in 3d
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:55:48 -0800, Electric Comet

What's wrong with Sketchup?

You can do that in Sketchup, too.

Doesn't sound very useful to me.
In article <2isr5chr1ouvp3bfemuebt1140uovrhuk1@

If the "new thing" about it is "defining programmatically", there's nothing new about that. That's how Autocad has _always_ worked.
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 23:09:06 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Autocad has not always been a "parametric cad" I believe it has only been a fully parametric cad since Acad 2010 while design View, for instance, has been a parametric cad since at least 1992 in 2D
In article <qcvr5c9g5rgeh99cennk4bu8sld2m2a5ok@

Whatever "parametric cad" is, there was a time when point and click was a new innovation that was added to Autocad. You have always run it by typing commands and after a while a programming language was added.
That's "defining programmatically" in my book. If he meant something else he should have said it.
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 00:14:00 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Parametric cad uses a database of dimensions and by redefining either a linear measurement or an angle, the entire diagram is redrawn. You can lengthen a part by 50 thou, or by 2 inches, or by 2 feet by simply redefining a line segment. If a hole is defined as being centered to that line segment, it is properly relocated. Just a few really basic examples of a VERY powerful design tool..

Agreed!
On 12/23/2016 11:14 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

IIRC AutoCAD LT was developed and used a Windows environment, clickable icons and DDE, before AutoCAD.

New to you maybe but a very old method of drawing. Sketchup is pretty much 'it' for woodworking.

Too bad Gobble never made it fer Linux. I've never quite understood Gobble's reluctance. C'mon, their entire server system is Linux.
Anywho, I gave my ex lead designer an old precursor to Sketchup, to try. It was like E (an old early modeling SGI program), but he didn't like it --over AutoCad-- cuz it did not have a "stretch" function. ;)
nb
On 12/24/2016 9:14 AM, notbob wrote:

Google was just an interim owner of Sketchup. Sketchup was originally developed by another company that charged for the product. Some years later Google bought Sketchup and offered it as a free tool.
About 3 years ago Google sold Sketchup to Trimble, a software company.
In article <WvWdnYHFlfT4LsPFnZ2dnUU7-
says...

Trimble's not actually a software company-- they're a GPS, navigation systems, and surveying systems company with a large software component.
notbob wrote:

Does SketchUp not run on WINE? When there are more Linux users, there will be more software ported to it. BTW, Google sold SU to another company in recent years, I believe.
Bill

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a big way.
Windows is on its way out, people are tired of constant updates, they're tired of being spied on, they're slowly coming to realize their systems were pwned from the moment Windows was installed *for real this time*. Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me unless something changes.
Hey, I just saw Raspberry Pi's desktop was ported to run on X86. I've used it on the Pi, it's nice.
Puckdropper
On 24 Dec 2016 22:50:49 GMT, Puckdropper

I've been hearing that for almost thirty years.

4ax.com:

way.

they're

So have I. I'll probably wind up dual booting, as there's just some programs out there that can't see past Windows. I wonder if there's a decent virtual PC type program out there for Linux that will let me run Windows on Linux.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

Well, Oracle's "Virtual Box" will let you run Linux on Windows. Free, works good.

On 12/25/2016 1:27 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

There are two constants in the computer world. One Unix and/or its derivatives are the OS of the future and the other is Windows is dead. It has been this way since I seriously got into computers in the 1980's, and it is still the same way.
This is on the same category as Donald Trump will be defeated by Hilary, and if elected will not be a good president.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Yep, I know. But, at a young age I came to realize Windows is actually really really good. Linux desktop of that era was really really bad, I remember waiting for XWindows to start, going to a church dinner and finding the computer was still working on starting it... on a 486. I've got some experience with Debian, MintPPC, and Raspberry Pi's UIs and they're quite usable. (MintPPC is in major need of an update.) Raspbian's UI is quite good, with a few problems. (How hard is it to add an icon to the desktop? What's wrong with the good ol' right click, "Add Shortcut...")
We're seeing a shift, more people than ever are talking about Linux. I won't say "2017 will be the year of Linux on the desktop" because it won't. Linux will take over like Firefox... Slowly. All of a sudden you realize Firefox has to be taken seriously. (That's a whole 'nother can of worms... because now you realize Firefox *can't* be taken seriously anymore. The fork Pale Moon is really good.)
Puckdropper
On 12/25/2016 1:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Windows was never really good, let alone really, really good. Well, there was one version of windows that was really good, and that was OS/2. The only version of Win that actually worked.

The desk top is dying a fast death. Kids (under 40) today don't use them, they use their cell phones. Actually they use todays Portable Computer (PC), which is incorrectly called a cell phone. Almost no one uses the cell phone part of their PC much, they use text for that. Otherwise it's social media.
As for Linux, (which of course is really just a hacked copy of Unix) that has already killed Windows dead as hell. 99% of PC's (aka cell phones) are powered by UNIX based OS's. Android and Mac OS are based on UNIX, not windows. The Desktop is dead, killed by so called cell phones. The entire internet runs on Unix, almost all cell phones (PC's) run on Unix based OS's.
--
Jack