interesting 3d cad program

have been trying out a program for making 3d models called openscad

instead of clicking a mouse to create your object you define it programatically

so far just playing with it to understand how it works

not sure how to generate dimension text

the syntax is not too abstract but it is an entirely new way to design in 3d

Reply to
Electric Comet

What's wrong with Sketchup?

You can do that in Sketchup, too.

Doesn't sound very useful to me.

Reply to
krw

If the "new thing" about it is "defining programmatically", there's nothing new about that. That's how Autocad has _always_ worked.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Autocad has not always been a "parametric cad" I believe it has only been a fully parametric cad since Acad 2010 while design View, for instance, has been a parametric cad since at least 1992 in 2D

Reply to
clare

Whatever "parametric cad" is, there was a time when point and click was a new innovation that was added to Autocad. You have always run it by typing commands and after a while a programming language was added.

That's "defining programmatically" in my book. If he meant something else he should have said it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Parametric cad uses a database of dimensions and by redefining either a linear measurement or an angle, the entire diagram is redrawn. You can lengthen a part by 50 thou, or by 2 inches, or by 2 feet by simply redefining a line segment. If a hole is defined as being centered to that line segment, it is properly relocated. Just a few really basic examples of a VERY powerful design tool..

Reply to
clare

New to you maybe but a very old method of drawing. Sketchup is pretty much 'it' for woodworking.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed!

Reply to
Leon

Too bad Gobble never made it fer Linux. I've never quite understood Gobble's reluctance. C'mon, their entire server system is Linux.

Anywho, I gave my ex lead designer an old precursor to Sketchup, to try. It was like E (an old early modeling SGI program), but he didn't like it --over AutoCad-- cuz it did not have a "stretch" function. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Google was just an interim owner of Sketchup. Sketchup was originally developed by another company that charged for the product. Some years later Google bought Sketchup and offered it as a free tool.

About 3 years ago Google sold Sketchup to Trimble, a software company.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC AutoCAD LT was developed and used a Windows environment, clickable icons and DDE, before AutoCAD.

Reply to
Leon

lots of models on thigiverse

also notice that 3d printers like this software much better than some of the commercial software

so it talks correctly to cnc whereas other popular ones do not

Reply to
Electric Comet

Trimble's not actually a software company-- they're a GPS, navigation systems, and surveying systems company with a large software component.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Does SketchUp not run on WINE? When there are more Linux users, there will be more software ported to it. BTW, Google sold SU to another company in recent years, I believe.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

It's coming. Linux will eventually make it to the desktop in a big way.

Windows is on its way out, people are tired of constant updates, they're tired of being spied on, they're slowly coming to realize their systems were pwned from the moment Windows was installed *for real this time*. Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me unless something changes.

Hey, I just saw Raspberry Pi's desktop was ported to run on X86. I've used it on the Pi, it's nice.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I've been hearing that for almost thirty years.

Reply to
krw

I have Linux installed as a dual boot. Mostly, I like Linux for running some freeware Java programs of foreign origin, in which I then don't have to instill "my full faith and trust".

Reply to
Bill

I intend to run Linux as a guest under Windows (just bought a new laptop that is big enough to do it without choking). I tried Linux a decade ago but had no interest in spending all my time being a system programmer. If it doesn't just work, I don't want it. We'll see if Linux has grown up any.

Reply to
krw

I'm using the "Mint" version. To make Java run in the full screen I had to download support directly from Oracle. I keep detailed notes (for when I have to do it again). Good luck!

Reply to
Bill

krw wrote in news:460u5c5cv0eg5vj9ra5oug6tp6mmhso1ru@

4ax.com:

So have I. I'll probably wind up dual booting, as there's just some programs out there that can't see past Windows. I wonder if there's a decent virtual PC type program out there for Linux that will let me run Windows on Linux.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper