50 year Old Hammer Restoration

Someone loves their Dad:

Tim Daneliuk

I wish you guys would not post anything from imgur. I always end up spending the next half hour clicking on "next post"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER....

:)

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Doesn't load at all for me.

Reply to
krw

No big loss. Potentially crappy hammer, questionable restoration.

Bottom line: I'm happy the OP is happy.

It's not a hammer I would buy. Prolly cuz of all you passionate WW types that have lulled me into buying outrageously overpriced tools ...and me not being a genuine WW fiend. I mainly read this newsgroup cuz it has a buncha weirdos that would rather talk woodworking than any other subject (read politics). ;)

Well, that and the fact my late brother was a master carpenter and I spent a relatively short time as his apprentice. But, I will admit, I never got into finish work. :(

OTOH, I hadda genuine Boy Scout scabbard knife with stacked leather-ring handle, so I kinda see that attraction. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

An Estwing hammer is as good as it gets - particularly from the sixties or earlier. Too bad he didn't get the profile of the leather handle correct. It looks pretty "clunky" and not at all like the original very comfortable grip.

Reply to
clare

Just to be clear - that was not my work. I just happened upon it ...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I've used Estwing hammers. AFAIC, they're way over-hyped. I an feel the shock getting telegraphed right to my elbow. I prefer fiberglass over steel.

Reply to
krw

Like I said " is as good as it gets - particularly from the sixties or earlier." The design of the Estwing hammer shank was actually pretty advanced when it came out back in about 1923 - Their balance has always been excellent - their ergonomics are hard to beat, and they last, and last, and last. Perhaps also important to American craftsmen is the fact they are made exclusively by american craftsmen.

If you aren't a sucker for the good looks of the traditional leather handle, their later "shock absorbing system" using a molded on nylon vinyl grip gives you a more comfortable hammer for those who use their hammers a lot - they claim a 70% reduction in shock.

One thing,for sure, it's pretty hard to break or damage the steel shank - unlike wood and fiberglass.

Reply to
clare

Of course I'm not a carpenter but my fiberglass Craftsman hammer is 45 years old and I wouldn't trade it for a bushel of Estwings.

Reply to
krw

Your choice. My Dad had estwings and loved them - and I grew up loving them too. That said, I don't own one today. One of my brothers got Dad's and I have not gone out and bought my own. I don't use that kind of tool on a daily basis like Dad did

Reply to
clare

krw wrote in news:3rit5c54bho3njljv3mtl125pcb75u4aaj@

4ax.com:

Probably another case of whoring out their name. I've got a Estwing 22 oz Framing Hammer and it does a pretty good job. I only use it for driving in

12" landscape spikes for the ice rink, so I've got only a rubber mallet to compare it to, but it does a fine job. When you're driving large spikes into the ground, it's not about how *hard* you can hit the spike, it's about hitting the spike hard and listening to feedback. It's pointless to try to drive a spike into a rock.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I concur... I never cared for the feel of the Estwing hammers. I like the Plumb hammers with the fiberglass handles, particularly the 20 oz. Plumb claw hammer.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I have a fiberglass Plumb, I predate it by 3 years. It is my finish hammer. So that is a 57 year old hammer still going.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Most don't appreciate the sound component in the art of driving a nail. A good example is the art of apply a horseshoe that will stay on.

Although a horseshoe nail is designed to curve in one direction, the amount of that curve (resulting in where the nail comes out of the hoof above the horseshoe, which most often determines how long the shoe will stay on, as well as the appearance of a well shod horse) is mostly dependent upon the force of the blow, with said force being adjusted by the feedback from both sound and feel (both due/caused by the relative density of that part of the hoof where the nail is being driven, which changes that feedback)

The art of driving nails into an appendage of a live animal, without harm to the animal or you, gives one a unique perspective on using a hammer to drive a nail.

(hey, more on topic than OS/2 ...)

Reply to
Swingman