interesting 3d cad program

That number is dropping. Most of the places I have worked for had a linux back end with an IIS middleware. IIS is a POS in my book, it's constantly requiring resets. But the powers that beeeeeee. Cost is driving everything. I now run my databases on windows.. They are so much more unstable than the Unix O/S's I used to run on. But cost has been pushing that direction, also companies are finding less and less expertise in the Linux / Unix area and are moving to Windows. I can't tell you how many issues I have related to windows, it's astounding. but people up top don't care about stability, only cost.. and it cost them less to get a few MS idiots than a few good Linux gurus. So that's part of the cost. I am in the medical imaging field now, and we can't afford downtime, Imagine not being able to view a CT scan or MRI during an operation or after a stroke...

Oooohhhh lets reboot the POS.

Reply to
woodchucker

Markem

And several hundred square inches of screen real estate.

Reply to
J. Clarke

woodchucker wrote in news:d5qdneyjJp0nTv snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Those sites don't deserve your attention. Go somewhere else, and if you're doing something with a company trying to get your money complain. It's the only way we'll get rid of them. We've got a lot of growing up to do with regards to interactive ads. Be vocal, we've got to touch a bunch of young kids (some as old as 75!) how not to make their ads behave!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

For the last number of years OS/2 was an ibm product, not a microsoft product and it was never ANYWHERE near killing Windows. It was basically a marketting problem with IBM being unwilling to take on Microsoft on Microsoft's terms.

You can do the same thing with virtualization under Windows, and 64 bit windows allows you to "crash" an application without crashing the machine,. It's called "pre-emptive multitasking - and although IBM came out with it first in OS/2, Windows has had it for several years now.

Reply to
clare

BIG snip

The main reason the internet runs on "unix" is "Linux" - an extremely low cost distribution model that undercuts any other server operating system on the market world wide.

Same reason Android rules the portable computing device market.

It's the "walmartization" of the world. Lower price always wins.

Reply to
clare

It's the "linux" low cost model that is killing Unix. It's user supported - meaniung there really is no support to speak of, but it is driving "legitimate unix" out of business.

You NEED to be a Unix guru to maintain a unix server, while much of the Windows Server architecture and interface is common to desktop windows. THAT is what is driving Windows Server adoption in the indusatry. We are still running on a Linux webserver - just upgraded to a current release - and the switchover to the new server was rife with problems and took almost a week, because, in large part, there was inadequate support. I had nothing to do with the switchover, and have nothing to do with the server maintenance (thankfully).

The internal servers at the insurance office are Windows servers, but the virtualization server is not windows based - it is a VMWARE unit which is based, at least loosely, on a Linux kernal. A MISERABLE thing to manage compared to the Windows Hypervisor. When they switched to VMWare I handed the network administration over to the contractor who recommended it -" hook line and stinker"

The virtual servers have been ROCK SOLID, but the backup and other management has been "less than stellar".

My Windows 10 desktops have also been rock solid - better than Windows

7, and very comparable to my previous WinXP SP2 machines (which would run for months and months on end without a reboot or a crash - basically only requiring a reboot after certain updates). At the time we were running the old NT servers, non virtualized, mu wife worked in Health Services at a local University where they were running the MAC Medical system on an Apple (Unix based) server - and it crashed on a regular basis - MANY times oftener than the old NT system - which was not nearly as "solid" as WinServer 2012 and 2013.
Reply to
clare

Like to see anyone get any productivity running a high end CAD application on an I-Phone!!! Or even a decent database .

Reply to
clare

You don't think you cell phone is capable of invoking database transactions? Think of your phone as containing the "on" switch.

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Oh that's not it... He's thinking about doing complicated database work, not just pushing buttons and making stuff go into databases. Things like SELECT * from LEFT JOIN users, administrators where ID='';DROP TABLE administrators; -- 10T' order by name;

It was hard enough to type that gobblygook in on a real keyboard, let alone an emulated one on a tablet.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My point is that it's just a character string. It could be returned to a phone as a jpg file or as an Excel-like spreadsheet for instance. This topic is called "distributed computing".

Reply to
Bill

Actually IBM came out with it first in OS/360 long before there was such a thing as a microprocessor. People forget that computing has a history that predates Intel and that operating systems have a history that predates Unix.

Reply to
J. Clarke

OK, Bill, type "SELECT * from LEFT JOIN users, administrators where ID='';DROP TABLE administrators; -- 10T' order by name;" into your cell phone a hundred times and see if you still prefer it to a keyboard.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It would be useless to a phone. I use cygwin (*nix) like interface on windows so I can get my data in a format that's useable. Having Xterm window is very important, I can get more real estate , and control how it's displayed.

Reply to
woodchucker

Recently my daughter and her husband were playing gin, and she pulled out her cell phone to keep score. I asked what she was using to keep score and she said Excel... I said isn't that over kill, she said it was easy and didn't have a pencil and paper handy...

PC's (aka cell phones) are killing windows. None of my kids have desktop computers, they have old lap tops they rarely to never use.

My wife bought herself a computer, I later discovered it was not really a computer, it was a giant cell phone w/o the phone part (Nextbook I think it is), with a detachable keyboard. It runs on the Android OS. The closest thing to a computer she has is an Ipad, that also runs on a Unix based OS. She also has a Kindle (also Android/UNIX). She sits around all day with her cell phone, Nextbook, Ipad, and Kindle all hooked up to the internet, playing games, and buying crap. All are based on UNIX not DOS/Windows. Yep, Window is about over, and the sooner the better as it has always been, and still is, garbage.

Think about this, in 1994, OS/2 could cut and paste between DOS, WIN and OS/2 apps all running concurrently. Windows figured out how to do it between DOS and WIN, (albeit lamely as hell) over 20 years later with Win 10.

WINS scripting language (Power Shell) is a diabolical piece of crap, designed by the morons of the computing world. OS/2 had REXX for it's scripts which was powerful, yet any moron could learn it.

OS/2 used standard config files anyone could master. Win uses the convoluted piece of garbage called the registry. Anyone that has the balls to fool around with that mess knows the meaning of labyrinth. It must have been designed by the same fools that created the almost unlearnable Power Shell script language.

Yep, Kids today have little use for Desktops, and it's convoluted piece of crap OS. The ironic thing is Win was supposed to be an easy user interface designed for the computer illiterate. In reality, it is a horrible user interface that is next to impossible for even the computer literate to have a clue how to fix when it breaks, which it always does, because it is crap. Now, everyone is using UNIX, with user interfaces any computer illiterate (my wife) can use, and they never seem to break. Very cool.

Reply to
Jack

OS/2 was never promoted by IBM. It had a huge user group that was fighting an uphill battle with IBM to even make it available to the public. Few computer stores would stock it, either because MS threatened them to not sell it, or because IBM didn't want it sold.

Why, well one reason would be IBM was afraid of another Anti-trust suit if they controlled both the hardware and software end of the PC world. Another would be they created MS so they would control the software end, while they did the hardware and maintenance end and Intel controlled the chip end. Who knows.

What I do know is the OS/2 user world had been waiting for OS/2 to get to "Critical Mass" which was expected to be 1 million copies sold a month. They finally reached that point, in spite of about zero promotion from IBM, and IBM IMMEDIATELY pulled the plug. It was patently obvious what IBM was up to, but the reasons behind it was up to the outside world to speculate. My guess is it was pretty much the same reason IBM decided to put Gates (a college drop out with no OS) in business instead of developing their own OS for their computers.

Not by those with years of intimate experience with UNIX, DOS and OS/2.

Well it ran all 3 concurrently and seamlessly.

Granted, since XP, Win has almost worked, but not close to OS/2 or Unix. Win 10 upgrade for me worked fine. I bought a new PC and it had WIN

10 already on it. This one is giving me fits, one thing after another. At least once a week it loses the internet connection and so far, I have to reboot to get it to work. It's not the modem either, as all other devices hooked up via WiFi continue to work fine. Also, after one update, the mouse periodically decides to intermittently jump around out of control. Really sucks, and this seems to be a common problem based on searches on the issue.
Reply to
Jack

Jack, you don't know jack.

OS/2 never ran Windows 95 applications. It didn't run them "seamlessly", it didn't run them non-seamlessly, it didn't run them concurrently, it didn't run them non-concurrently, it didn't run them at all.

Microsoft changed the Windows API in Windows 95 from the Windows 3.x API to a subset of the Windows NT API,and IBM never implemented the Windows NT API in OS/2, so Windows 95 applications could not run. Period.

Your continuing to assert otherwise doesn't make it so.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You really missed the point. All I have to do is browse to my mobile website and choose and/or modify one of the options there. If you are going to innovate, you need to think out the box!

Reply to
Bill

OK, show us the link the option which one modifies to enter that exact query into any randomly selected SQL database, including the ones behind corporate firewalls.

You clearly have never programmed for a living if you think everything can be done by clicking links on a web page.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Oops, I have. In fact, I have a MS in CS with an emphasis in distributed computing. I have created web sites which made ample use of Oracle databases--they were mostly navigable by mouse. So, stop, take a deep breath. I suppose the idea that someone might be able to query a database "with spoken words" is even stranger to you--but if you think about it, you can find a few examples on the market today. Right?

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill