Easy-to-use drawing & layout program for woodworking and building projects?

I am looking for an easy-to-use but powerful PC program to help me design and draw projects that I am interested in building such as bookcases, cabinets, closet organizers, etc.

I want something that meets the following criteria: 1. Easy to learn for the non CAD professional, yet powerful enough to draw what you want and with room to learn and grow

  1. Ability to visualize projects (preferably in 3D) including with color, texture, shading so that I can get a real sense of how it looks
  2. Shortcuts for drawing standard things like dados, rabits, dovetails, standard lumber sizes, standard screw and nail sizes, etc.
  3. Ability to generate parts list (preferable)
  4. Affordable (
Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Even CAD pro's would like to find that program.

Do you have any formal drafting experience? If not, a CAD program is going to have a steep learning curve.

Harder still.

More expensive.

Still more expensive

These tend to be toy like compared to a program that you are thinking that you want.

Basically you are looking for something like AutoCAD. A few thousand dollars.

I use AutoCAD LT, Lists for about $800.00 and does no 3D or scheduling.

Reply to
Leon

Dream on, brother. Ain't no such thing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

As discussed here and in FWW I suggest you try SketchUp. Not a CAD but a design program. Download the trial version and you have 8 hrs of play time.(timer is 'on' only when you are using it). Here are two views of a simple bench. Once you get your 3-D made you can rotate in around any way you want, add shadows and etc and etc... Good import/export and uses Ruby language plugins(some nice little applets available that add to SU functionality.) ..disclaimers go here and YMMV.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

I grabbed the demo and it seems pretty nice. But's $500! =8^0

$500 is a lot of paper and erasers!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

There is an Open Source project under way that might meet your criteria.

I've looked at it, but have not had the time to download it and all the libraries it needs, and then compile it.

Reply to
C.Groth

I've been using QCAD, it shipped with Mandrake 10, But I can't get it to work on suse 9.2, and I upgraded my Mandrake box to 10.1 and it didn't come with it, I'll give this a one a try

Reply to
Richard Clements

CutList Plus

dadiOH

Um that is a great program but is not a drawing program so to speak. It is an optimization program that helps you use your materials efficiently.

Reply to
Leon

...it's me again touting the features of SketchUp. I spent most of the afternoon learning the thing and put together this lantern model. The animation is a BIG .avi file about 1.8 meg and should load auto in Windows media player. I put in 10 views and the program put in intermediate frames (about 160) to get smooth transitions. The first link is the animation and the second are a pair of lanterns I made previously using advanced pencil technology.

..disclaimers go here and YMMV.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Which is why I put it under... "4. Ability to generate parts list (preferable)"

Reply to
dadiOH

Actually, YOU generate the parts list. I simply draws a diagram of where the pieces should come from.

Reply to
Leon