CAD Question

Hello all,

Some time ago (June 2nd), I posted a question about woodworking design tasks titled "Picture to Plans." The essence of my need was how to take a picture of my daughter's choosing and turn it into a "reasonable replica" - minus any fancy turnings, curves, and what not. (For reference, the picture is posted in abpw under "Daughter's Dresser."

Since then, I've bought TurboCAD and spent a good 40-60 hours learning to use it. Under the kind advice of "Bob," I pasted the picture into TurboCAD, and using the dimensions from the furniture store website, created a simple, front-end, 2D view.

In my struggles with TurboCAD, I've created 3-D breadboard tops, and a few mortise and tenon assemblies - so while no expert, 3D makes some sense to me. In creating my dresser plan, I had assumed that I would create the 3-D image as I would build it. Make a 3-D carcass, create the

3-D internals, attach the carcass, create 3-D drawers and insert them, etc. However, one of the tools that I've used in learning TurboCAD is the "Modern Desk" PDF tutorial from Textual Creations. His method was to create a 2D front drawing and extrude out the members into 3D. (200+ pages of step by step for dummies for $30 - strongly recommended!)

I'd like to keep with my method if possible - building and assembling 3D members vs extruding a 2D drawing. After working through his tutorial, I'm not sure which way is "right" - or what the trade-offs are between the two approaches.

Yes, I wholly understand this is a CAD question - but I figured I'd be speaking to folks with similar experiences and needs vs getting responses from draftsmen that I wouldn't even understand.

Guess Who, I'll be needed help on creating that "O" (converted to an "H") in about 3 more months at this rate...

Regards,

-JBD in Denver

Reply to
John Dykes

Damn ... that one single post was an eye/mind opener, and explained a lot of things that have just not been that intuitive regarding CAD.

Thanks!

Reply to
Swingman