Help with my first project

Hi,

I built this small frame-and-panel door to cover the access to the plumbing of my bathroom:

have a couple of questions about the frame:

  1. What is the best way of attaching it the wall? I used brad nails (the ones with tiny hats that with small indentations for punching in).

Would using a nail gun have been appropriate and easier?

  1. Should I have connected the three pieces of the frame together before attaching the frame to the wall? I didn't. I felt that the sheer

from nailing the individual pieces to the wall would have broken the connections b/w the pieces. As a result, the lines of contact b/w the pieces came out quite sloppy.

If I should have put the frame together before attaching it to the wall

what is the proper way of doing it? Several ideas come to my mind: little joiners on the back, brackets, nails.

Very many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

Finishing nails, probably about 2" long. Pre-drilled holes will prevent splitting the wood. I doubt that a nail gun is better.

Generally it is better to construct the entire frame, then attach it to the wall. Plain butt miters are a bit weak, but these can be reinforced with some kind of joinery.

Reply to
Phisherman

The frame and door should be assembled as a working unit first. Then attach the frame to the wall with 6d - 8d finish nails. Pre-drill holes first.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa