Firefox/OE NNTP

Set up with both Firefox and OE for NG use, but...WTF is the NNTP for PeoplePC use?

Any help there?

Charlie Self

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sorry wrong ans. see

like they don't have one :)

Reply to
BAP

PeoplePC news server is

news.peoplepc.com

Damian

Reply to
damian penney

In fact looks like peoplePC just uses the earthlink servers (earthlink owns peoplepc) so you can use news.west.earthlink.net or news.east.earthlink.net depending on if you are on the west or east coast

Damian

Reply to
damian penney

Is PeoplePC your ISP these days and do they have nntp servers?

nntp is "network news transport protocol" and is basically used to send, receive and distribute Usenet messages, where you are now.

Clarify why you're asking, as it is unclear what you need.

Reply to
Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in news:1152285006.584457.78790 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

They're looking for the name or address of the news server PeoplePC provides. You may need to call/email their tech support guys to find out what it is, but you could also try

news.peoplepc.com

or

nntp.peoplepc.com

since both are popular choices for names for news servers.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Trying to get a rational--non-Google, in other words--NG set up. AOHell is no help. I'm hoping the above earthlinkink info will work.

My grandson finally got the blinking machine straightened out, but the problems I have with AOL are apparently some kind of screwed up code that AOL uses, and there are a host of problems. I'm slowly moving out of it. I hope.

I really don't want to stay with the Google Groups bit, because it lacks any chance at filters, and it's clumsy to use.

Reply to
Charlie Self

It's a good bet that the only way it will work is if you are a member of the EarthLink network. Generally all ip address blocks but the owners, or their member networks, are excluded when attempting to login in to an nntp server.

Reply to
Swingman

No, news.peoplepc.com resolves to the earthlink servers. It will work just fine.

Damian

Reply to
damian penney

A Google search shows it to be:

news.peoplepc.com

but I also found this:

"I did an NSLOOKUP on news.peoplepc.com and it came back as being an alias for news.east.earthlink.net. So apparently they do support a news server via Earthlink. But it may require a logon."

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Charlie:

I've gone through this setup before.

I'll call you tomorrow (Saturday July 8, 2006).

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Yes, read it again ... if he doesn't use EarthLink or peoplePC (peoplePC _is_ a member network), he damn sure ain't logging onto earthlinks nntp servers.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Richard Clements

news.readfreenews.net is good for text groups like this one, but doesn't carry binaries. I don't know if Mike is allowing new members a this time or not, but it doesn't hurt to look.

I use intergate for dialup at $9.95 a month. They get their news via Supernews. So far (2-3 years) my only complaint is the support staff, but that's common to all ISPs that I've tried. They all refuse to believe that a customer knows what he's doing :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard
[snip]

Well Charlie did say in the original post "WTF is the NNTP for PeoplePC" so I assume he's asking what the peoplePC news server is and it's news.peoplepc.com. Sheesh!

Reply to
damian penney

He also specifically indicated he's using AOL ... does peoplePC/EarthLink allow AOL users access to their nntp servers?

If not, he's out of luck ... as was originally stated. IOW, don't look now but the Sheesh is on you.

Reply to
Swingman

I see your sheesh is on you and raise you an "the problems I have with AOL are apparently some kind of screwed up code that AOL uses, and there are a host of problems. I'm slowly moving out of it. I hope. "

i.e He is trying to get shut of AOL and wanted to know "WTF is the NNTP for PeoplePC" which is still news.peoplepc.com. Avast ye Swingman.

dp

Reply to
damian penney

Revisionism on your part ...here's the quote:

"Trying to get a rational--non-Google, in other words--NG set up. AOHell is no help. I'm hoping the above EarthLink info will work."

Now, Charlie never really answered my point blank question about what ISP he was using, but you assumed that he did, that he was using peoplePC, and you jumped in based on your assumption.

You may well have just gotten lucky this time, but pay attention to the voice of experience when I tell you it is prudent to not ever assume _anything_ when trouble shooting network problems.

That said, and since Charlie has been bitching about, and has had trouble with, AOL for a long time, I hope you're right ... here's hoping he finally did get off that sour tit and onto to something like EarthLink/et al.

Reply to
Swingman

Oh stop, how are direct quotes revisionism?

his original post was

That was all. Then he followed up with

Getting lucky has nothing to do with it. He asked what PeoplePCs news server was, and I, in my infinite wisdom answered his plea; then you had to go and bamboozle him with science ;-)

How about we just leave it at I was right and you were wrong :)

dp

Reply to
damian penney