Hinged Bookshelves - Almost Done!

I finally got the carcasses built for the bookshelves and now have then hung in place. I decided after much thought to go with continuous/piano hinges as they afford much more strength along the entire vertical axis than either pivots or traditional hinges. Plus, they cost a whole lot less ($10 per hinge versus $170 per pivot set!), and will appear more asthetic (though not totally hidden) versus traditional hinges.

I also decided that gluing the 1/4 ply into the dado in the rear of the units would provide a whole lot of structural stability for preventing racking. I may add a piece of 1/2" channel iron corner-to-corner in the rear if it looks like I need more bracing.

Next is the trim - I'm going to try and rabbet the moulding around the hinge as much as possible to hide it (I'm using 445). I'll also glue and staple the trim to the top and bottom edges of the units to provide "stops" when closing. I'll send out more pics as I get that step done.

Boy, this has been fun :-)

I've put several pics out on a.b.p.w for your perusal/critique/bashing :-)

Reply to
Henry Webb

I just saw the pictures this morning and it looks good. A little trim work and it will look really great. I see that there is more swing room on the right side than it appeared in your earlier pictures.

I think if the shelf has something to rest on when closed it should not have any racking problems. I'm thinking an inverted caster would allow it to swing out, and still support it when closed. It might be OK as is, seems sturdily constructed.

I'm not sure what sort of trim you are planning. I sort of envision using fluted columns left, right, and center. Would cover the center gap nicely and give it a sort of old library look.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Oooh - I love the fluted column idea. I wasa planning on using standard casing trim (to match the rest of the room/house), but the columns would definitely give it flair. And the thickness thy have would help me hide the hinges even further. Great idea, Bill - thanks!!!

Reply to
Henry Webb