Built in bookshelves

I am looking for plans or similar aid for built-in bookshelves with sliding glass doors. I search the web, but don't find much more than retailer photos. I am preparing to install the shelves on a 14' wall. The shelving will be constructed with plywood and painted, the doors with multiple panes constructed with hardwood and painted also. This would be my first shelving project. I would also like to be pointed to suppliers for the sliding hardware. Additionally, I can't figure out how to determine if the shelves should reach to the ceiling or stop short.

The room is 12' x 14' with an 8' 2" ceiling. The adjacent wall to the left of the shelving has a 6' window in the center of its 12' length. The adjacent wall to the window wall starts with a 4' French door in the corner with full glass panes. To the left of that door the remainder of the 14' wall will house a desk surface sticking out into the room as an "L" from the wall, computer work space next to the desk so one at work can swivel from desk to computer. Also on the wall will be two 4 drawer file cabinets. The final wall off the right side of the wall of shelves; and to the left of the desk wall, will house a Murphy bed surrounded by more shelves, or possibly work surfaces.

I will appreciate any suggestions or recommendations, but would really like to get some help on the design of the sliding glass doors and how they attach to the shelves.

It would be terrific if I could find somewhere where shelves of this kind are installed that I could see, or if someone could recommend a book with examples. Regard, Richard

Reply to
RichardC

RichardC wrote: > I am looking for plans or similar aid for built-in bookshelves with > sliding glass doors.

Take a look at the NYW stuff.

Norm did a project that included not only wall paneling, but also book shelves as you describe.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It sounds like you are looking for display case hardware, a good place to start is McMaster-Carr web site for display case materials. Most glass will be 1/4 inch tempered if you want it to slide in tracks. You would not attach tracks to movable shelves.. they would be fixed cabinets included in the wall units. Wood Magazine issue 163 June/July 2005 has something called a "heirloom cabinet which features sliding glass doors that look exactly like what you are looking for. The rolling hardware is from Lee Valley 00B10.26 and attaches to the glass door frame and ride in an 1/8 groove across the front of the cabinet. Good luck

Reply to
rmeyer1