Gun/China Cabinet is Assembled - Pics

The "light colored" pics were taken with the camera. The "dark colored" pics were taken with the phone.

I still need to make the drawer handles, probably from coiled copper tubing.

For demo, the only guns at the camp are a pellet rifle and a BB gun.

I filled some of the holes in the "desktop" with the hand cut nails I pulled from the old lumber.

I didn't have full extension drawer slides and I'm not crazy about the ones I had/used. If we have problems with the drawers, I'll change the slides.

The shelves are easily removed. When I'm dead and gone, this cabinet may end up with someone who doesn't want it as a gun cabinet, so I made shelves, should someone want to use it as a China-type cabinet.

This was a fun project and I liked the idea of using old hand hewn lumber.... kinna had to improvise the mating of almost all sections, since there were no straight edges. For the panel assemblies, I did joint the mating edges, though.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Looks nice, like it has been there a hundred years or more. I remember gun cabinets. I have not seen them in awhile. Politically incorrect and all that. But that is OK. It looks good and can be repurposed at a later time. And you planned for its conversion into polite company.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thanks. The finish on it is water based Varethane Floor Finish, 3 sprayed coats. It's a little too shiny, but it may dull with use. If not, I may burnish it, to give a less new look.

incorrect and all that. But that is OK.

As the camp is, we don't have any good place to stash the guns & ammo, duri ng hunting season. They are usually scattered about, beyond the "living" areas. This cabinet should help.

Same with hanging hats, coats, etc., hence, the next project is a coat rack

-bench combo.

Whether folks use the cabinet and coat rack, as planned, is another questio n. We have lots of small tools, hardware, odds and ends, etc., there, and I brought two work benches, with drawers and/or shelves, and hung a pegboa rd, to store and accommodate stuff, keep all that stuff neat and tidy. Of ten times, seems no one knows what neatness & tidiness is. Those work ben ches and adjacent areas are a mess.

I don't have much of the hand hewn boards remaining and most of them are sh ort boards. I need a small project to complement the, later, China cabine t.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I see gun cabinets for sale regularly, though not as many as I do gun safes. Perhaps it's a reflection of the value of guns, these days.

Reply to
krw

Also insurance conditions, liability, in some jurisdictions statutory requirements, etc. Remember that there are areswipe politicians out there who have tried to make people liable for crimes committed with guns that were stolen from them--more "blame the victim" mentality.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Right. In home, we have gun safes; prevents any child from messing with the firearms, also.

Reply to
Sonny

Sure, there is a lot of that but I know several people who have upwards of $100K in guns. At >$1K apeice for normal guns, it doesn't take that many collectables.

It also keeps any home invader safe.

Reply to
krw