Under Mount Drawer Slides - Help

I've never installed under mount drawer slides. I'm building a "rustic" g un cabinet (for the camp) with (salvaged) hand hewn boards, so none of the faces are straight. I did plane the edges, for making glued up panels.

I need to know what kind of inner cabinet (carcass) framing support, I need , for installing under mount drawer slides. I think I can make a reasonab ly standard drawer, with these uneven boards, but I'm not sure how the slid es would be mounted/supported, on the interior of the carcass.

Does anyone have a pic of the interior support "system" of a cabinet for un dermount slides? .... so I can get some idea of an appropriate support syst em.

I haven't found a pic, online, of the interior of a carcass, but I may not know what I am suppose to be, specifically, looking for.... in other words, I'm confused with online pics.

Do you need pics of my cabinet, before recommending/suggesting anything, to know what I'm trying to describe? The cabinet is not assembled, yet, but I think I can do a reasonable dry fit, for you get a better idea of what I 'm working with..... what I might best need to construct. Does this make sense?

I should be ready to assemble the carcass in a few days, and I need to cons truct this support/inner-framing, as/before I complete the carcass assembly .

I haven't shopped for slides, yet, and I suppose I need to decide what slid es to use, before considering/building their support system. The lower cab inet will have a large/long bottom drawer (I assume 3 slides for a 45"W X 5 "H X 20"D) and above this drawer will be two smaller drawers (two slides ea ch, 20"W X 5"H X 20"D). The smaller drawers might require a load of 6-8 bo xes of shotgun shells (30 lbs?) each, and the larger drawer might require a load of 100lbs(?, probably an over estimation).

More so than normal load, I suspect the drawers and slides would suffer mor e from the rough (often time, inconsiderate) handling/usage, by my nephews, the older kids, guests, and other drunk fools that, sometimes, come around , so whatever slide support, I need, may need to be beefier than normal.

Thanks. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Here's a link to a pdf from KV that has a diagram showing it pretty well.

Basically the cabinet member is an "L" with a small truss one leg to another. Vertical leg fastened to cabinet side but the lower leg rests on cabinet bottom. Note that the drawer back needs a notch (if the back is not "old school; i.e.,on top of the bottom).

Reply to
dadiOH

Basically, nothing more than what would be done for any other side mounted drawer slides is necessary.

The devil's details are in the drawer dimensions, not mounting the cabinet side of the drawer slide.

For those details, look to the installation guide of the slide manufacturer.

The only tricky part, other than the required width and height dimensions for the drawer, is correctly aligning the two 1/4" holes for the clips in the back of the drawer that you see here:

... and there is jig sold by the manufacturer for that.

Or, you can do what I did before I purchased the jig: hold a slide on the side of the drawer in the proper position; put sufficient pressure against the tab that goes into the hole to make an impression in the drawer back; then use the impression as a marker for where to drill the hole.

Here's a photo of an undermout drawer with the slides mounted and ready for transport to the site:

As you can see, they attach to the cabinet as any normal side mounted drawer slide would.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks Dadioh & Karl. The pics help a lot. I was thinking it was to be more complicated, than it appears.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny