Salvaging an Old Cypress House

Last minute decision to salvage the lumber of this old cypress house on the= farm, as the area was to be dozed, to clear & clean it. This house isn't = too large and we're not sure when it was built, probably in the 30s, 40s or= 50s, from previously salvaged lumber. Some of the original lumber was app= arently hand hewn beams, resawn into the various joists & rafters used to b= uild this house. The hand hewn signs were on many of the rafter & joist f= aces.

My nephew and I salvaged 2 trailers and 3 pickup truck loads, along with 2 = walnut trees that were downed. We managed a nice cache of lumber, for 2 1/=

2 days work, but still have a little work to do: Collect and mill that lar= ge walnut log.
also have the nail removal to do, not a fun job, but at least we can do = that at our leisure.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

farm, as the area was to be dozed, to clear & clean it. This house isn't too large and we're not sure when it was built, probably in the 30s, 40s or 50s, from previously salvaged lumber. Some of the original lumber was apparently hand hewn beams, resawn into the various joists & rafters used to build this house. The hand hewn signs were on many of the rafter & joist faces.

walnut trees that were downed. We managed a nice cache of lumber, for 2 1/2 days work, but still have a little work to do: Collect and mill that large walnut log.

that at our leisure.

Great job ... my hat's off to you for all aspects, from the end result of salvaging usable lumber, to having the gumption to do it.

Well done!

Reply to
Swingman

farm, as the area was to be dozed, to clear& clean it. This house isn't too large and we're not sure when it was built, probably in the 30s, 40s or 50s, from previously salvaged lumber. Some of the original lumber was apparently hand hewn beams, resawn into the various joists& rafters used to build this house. The hand hewn signs were on many of the rafter& joist faces.

walnut trees that were downed. We managed a nice cache of lumber, for 2 1/2 days work, but still have a little work to do: Collect and mill that large walnut log.

that at our leisure.

If the walnut trees were "yard trees" It would be prudent to check it with a metal detector for stray nails, staples and horseshoes.

Reply to
G. Ross

Most guys by me won't touch a tree that's been on private property near a home.

If they do, you buy the blade if anything happens. So for that the small woodmizer is welcome.. the blades are more affordable.

Walnut burns so nicely... enjoy.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Gotta feeling that cajun done got dat figgered out ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yea, I guess. But not everyone here has that knowledge.

Got plenty of time on my hands... work is under water ... I have my generator running. got internet today... and nothing to do but be grumpy here.

What's your excuse :-)

Reply to
tiredofspam

f salvaging usable lumber, to having the gumption to do it. Well done! -- w= ww.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http:/= /gplus.to/eWoodShop

Thanks Karl. My nephew is starting to get into woodworking more and more, = and he recognizes the value of old cypress. It's not so far fetched that h= e may, one day, inherit at least part of the farm. It was his idea to salv= age the house and it would have been a tough job by himself. He asked if I= would help. I enjoyed it, but I'm getting too old to work that hard anymo= re. I turned 60 last Wednesday. *Brought him a few beers and he did most = of the hard work. *Later, he shot several doves and brought them to me, so= it all worked out even-steven.

with a metal detector for stray nails, staples and horseshoes.=20 =20 G.W. Ross=20

Yeah, the tree I cut up for fire wood was near the house. It had several d= efects in the trunk and limbs. I didn't discover any nails or fencing, but= I didn't cut the lower trunk. That other big tree was further along the = field line, so it is likely metal free.

woodmizer is welcome.. the blades are more affordable.

I've had quite a few logs milled in Lake Arthur, 35 miles from me, and the= y also ask about yard trees. 7-8 yrs ago, they had a pecan pushed to the s= ide, that had big nails in it. I asked about it, wanting it, and was told = I would pay for a blade, even before sawing it. The WoodMizer blade cost $=

60 at that time. I have to find a project for THAT lumber, also.
Reply to
Sonny

my hands... work is under water ... I have my generator running. got internet today... and nothing to do but be grumpy here.

Hope things get better soon. Hang in there.

.... Or, you're welcome to come help pull nails.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

----------------------------------------------------- Finally got a call thru to my principal in Bucks County, PA (Philly area).

He has been without, power, phone, internet and cable going on 4 days.

Hasn't been able to get a shower either.

His comment today, "Good think we don't have smell-o-vision".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett