holy crap, high end furniture assembled with nails everywhere.

I was wrong all these years. I always thought you glued and clamped. My wife dragged me to this high end store , in a very high end town.

A lot of the furniture was nailed together,some with the nails still exposed, some plugged with filler.

I have to say I have never seen high end stuff nailed and with the nails showing both on the outside where the shelves were nailed with a air nailer and left unfilled. And the right angle corners and face frame had the nail holes showing. this on a nice looking piece aside from this distraction.

Another piece had nail holes filled with a non-matching filler... Drawers were nailed together.

I saw many useless barn door sliding hardware pieces that were over used, and they didn't roll well.

The price was high for all pieces.

So my wife wanted me to reproduce piece.. I said shit.. no problem it's just nailed. But I think I'll add glue, and maybe drop the nails..

Reply to
woodchucker

So you'd cheat people out of the nails they've paid for?

Reply to
krw

NEVER!!!! I'd glue a box of nails into the corner on the underside- -

- - - -

Reply to
clare

Maybe Norm put the nails there while the glue dried.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, at least they left some exposed so they'd be easier to pull after the glue dried.

Reply to
krw

and let her know what it's really worth.

Reply to
Contrarian

Nice to see the tradition of solid customer service lives on in the East!

Cheers, Colin

Reply to
Colin Campbell

Some people are fooled into thinking high priced means high end.

Reply to
Leon

And many more are fooled into thinking "hand made" means quality - -

- -

Reply to
clare

And some people are fooled into thinking that nailed furniture is bad :-)

Quality is in the eye of the beholder, methinks.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I agree with Leon and cl snyder.ca. Just because something costs a lot of money or is handmade, does not mean its good quality. And on the flip side , because something is nailed does not mean its bad either. Everything is tied together. Materials, construction technique, design. I'll admit to m aking a box with handcut through dovetails. But it still did not turn out to be a fine piece of work worthy of a museum.

Reply to
russellseaton1

if it has nails exposed it is not high end

high price is not high end

Reply to
Electric Comet

Sure, some even buy from Ikea. Kitchens, no less!

Reply to
krw

I disagree. I can't imagine *any* reason to use nails on furniture.

Reply to
krw

For upholstery is the only use I want nails then I really do not want to see them, not even the trim ones. YMMV as well as taste.

Reply to
Markem

Particularly where they can be seen. In cabinetry sometimes a few brads are in order.

Reply to
clare

Probably just a fad. I remember huge pieces of furniture made with 2X6s, 2 x8s, and even bigger that were stained nearly black and called "Mediterrane an". Doubtful they would have taken credit for it.

I remember when heavy, clear finished pine was the rage, big knots and all.

I remember rustic that was assembled with rusty nails and screws with strip ped heads, and defects were very highly prized. The fence guy I had at the time had folks stop by every job to see if they could buy his weathered ce dar.

I remember distressed finish furniture. You took a nice piece of furniture with good joinery, and then screwed it up by hitting it with metal junk, l aying screws, nails, wire and other crap in the surface and tapping it unti l it dented the wood. Indentions of screw threads were very highly prized. Then we wiped the damage with two different colors of stain to highlight t he damage before top coating.

No doubt in my mind that they exposed nails weren't meant to be any kind of statement of craftsmanship, but just another decorating fad.

Hope it goes away. Looking at that kind of thing is really annoying, even though I know the reason that kind of crap is made.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

And don't forget the Spanish style furniture with the rusted hardware that is so undersized that it would surely break if used regularly, not to mention the used motor oil stain. LOL

Kim and I went in to a new model home the other day, the kitchen cabinets were built with wood that had open defects, face frames, door frames and raised panels. Literally no part of a board was cut out for ascetics. Now I will say they were so heavily stained/painted that the defects were simply deep indentations with no change of color. Not as bad to look at as you might imagine.

Reply to
Leon

Crap, I forgot all about that. We were at ground zero for that since so mu ch came up from Mexico. I actually had a guy that was on a job tell me how they got that look. They left the hinges outside in the weather, banged t hem up with hammers, and many were actually hand assembled from stamped pie ces, so they made sure they were poor fitting. The "finish" was pieces of roofing tar or asphalt dropped into gasoline and where it melted and then w as slathered on with a rag.

It sounds pretty awful. Rather than to look at that, I think I would rather have a good quality MDF product or a convention that is gaining steam in E urope. MDF carcasses, wood stiles and rails, and then super high density ( really stable) doors that are painted a contrasting color.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

woodchucker wrote in news:dOidnUkNr7MES4XEnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

You know it was high-end stuff because they used nails. The cheap stuff they'd use staples.

John

Reply to
John McCoy