Furniture polishes with detergents, emulsifiers and mineral oil ?

Hi Community!

I have a (laminated) wood bathroom vanity that says, "... use "furniture po lishes with detergents, emulsifiers and mineral oil.". "The detergents clea n dirt form the furniture, the emulsifiers give it body to clean and last l onger, and the mineral oil is left behind as a barrier for dirt and moistur e that could harm finishes.".

Does anyone have any idea which commonly available consumer products meet t hat criteria?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards . . .

P.S. If interested, the maintenance instructions recommend not having the v anity in direct contact of the sun, dusting with a lint free cloth in the d irection of the grain, and polishing about every six months by rubbing in t he polish in the direction of the grain.

Reply to
brcobrem

I would go for broke and use a soft rag with cool water and a touch of dish detergent....I use it on good furniture and wipe dry right away. Mineral oil? I think that would make it gunky, allow dust to stick.

Reply to
Norminn

My first thought: Wow, that sounds like Murphy's oil soap, or possibly Pine Sol.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Jubilee Kitchen Wax. My mom faithfully applied it to our woodwork. It's come back on the market:

Moe DeLoughan

polishes with detergents, emulsifiers and mineral oil.". "The detergents cl ean dirt form the furniture, the emulsifiers give it body to clean and last longer, and the mineral oil is left behind as a barrier for dirt and moist ure that could harm finishes.".

that criteria?

vanity in direct contact of the sun, dusting with a lint free cloth in the direction of the grain, and polishing about every six months by rubbing in the polish in the direction of the grain.

I've done some more research and it seems that the answer to the question d epends on the kind of finish that was put on the furniture when it was orig inally made (or refinished).

Here's some words from the antique furniture world (read this first) :

e-no-not-really

Here's some sites that have DYI recipes:

rniture_polish

I give up on this quandary. I'm just going to spray Pledge directly on the wood like I've always done, smear it around a bit with a one side of a fair ly clean old cotton rag, wipe it off with the other dry side, and call it g ood enough. I thought there would be a relatively simple answer or how-to t hat everyone in the world but me knows about. Instead, what I've found is t hat this might require a doctoral dissertation to answer accurately.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions on this topic :-)

Regards . . .

Reply to
brcobrem

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:28:55 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrot e:

e:

e polishes with detergents, emulsifiers and mineral oil.". "The detergents clean dirt form the furniture, the emulsifiers give it body to clean and la st longer, and the mineral oil is left behind as a barrier for dirt and moi sture that could harm finishes.".

et that criteria?

he vanity in direct contact of the sun, dusting with a lint free cloth in t he direction of the grain, and polishing about every six months by rubbing in the polish in the direction of the grain.

depends on the kind of finish that was put on the furniture when it was or iginally made (or refinished).

ure-no-not-really

furniture_polish

e wood like I've always done, smear it around a bit with a one side of a fa irly clean old cotton rag, wipe it off with the other dry side, and call it good enough. I thought there would be a relatively simple answer or how-to that everyone in the world but me knows about. Instead, what I've found is that this might require a doctoral dissertation to answer accurately.

Hum . . . can't edit your own posts here. Well, that's "DIY", not DYI. D'oh !

Reply to
brcobrem