Mineral oil?

Wasn't it mineral oil most use on new cutting boards, rolling pins and such? Damned if I can remember, even if I've read it over and over. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Yes, it is available as most any store in the H & BA department or the pharmacy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You're right about the mineral oil. I believe there is a trick to getting the mineral oil to soak into the wood and not just make the surface slick that involves soaking or rubbing, but I'm not sure.

Reply to
woodworker88

Reply to
John DeBoo

I use unscented baby oil (I think it's mineral oil) and rub it in with superfine 4000 grit steel wool. It works great.

Reply to
Upscale

So have I but not with steel wool. You light a couple of candles, but on some soft music . . . .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Better to use walnut oil. Sinks in, cures, gives a bit of water resistance without making a swiffer out of your cutting board.

Reply to
George

But it can become rancid, and some people are allergic to it... Stick with mineral oil for food-related stuff.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Walnut oil is a drying oil - ii hasn't gone rancid on me. I've had very good results using it on chopping blocks - end grain. Works somewhat less well on long grain - although others have used it by dipping parts in heated walnut oil

Allergies could be a concern - probably less after the oil has dried.

Reply to
JeffB

It is a curing oil - does not become rancid in open air.

They're not allergic to walnut oil - one in 100,000 is allergic to some degree to nut proteins.

On the other hand, bacteria and oil-soluble foodstuffs of all sorts find comfort and shelter from detergents in an oil which does not cure. Not to mention dirt and dust collection.

Reply to
George

I think maybe you're just putting too much on? I usually dribble drops down the length of the wood in question and then vigorously rub it around with a clean cloth until all the surface is noticeably moist looking, but not slick. It remains "oily" for a few hours, but usually it's quite useable after that.

Reply to
Ben Gold

Mineral oil is not a finish. It will only penetrate and never harden. I does nothing for the wood in terms of a cutting board. It will make wooden kitchen items look good for a while, like until the first time it is used, and it is completely harmless to humans. It is a nice touch to pretty up a gift, and will last at least until the party is over. There is not real trick to using it, although warming the oil and/or the wood will help it penetrate. I like to put it on cutting boards and bowls. Rubbing beeswax over the top will prolong the look a bit.

For a nice drying oil, try this stuff:

Pounds

Pounds on Wood

I re-oiled my Williams-Sonoma cutting board just last week. Set it on a couple paper towels. Pour on mineral oil. Spread it around with fingers. It's a deep puddle at this stage. Wait a few hours. Do it again. My board has, with this second application, consumed a pint bottle of mineral oil. (Less a few ccs that I used for this and that around the shop in the meantime.)

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

It does fill up pores which would otherwise fill with water. I suspect that is the purpose.

I like your beeswax idea, will give it a try.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Reply to
Phisherman

Dissolve paraffin wax in warm mineral oil. Use enough wax to form a soft gel at room temperature. Rub this into the cutting board.

Wally Goffeney

Amen, Walunt or any food based oil is bad news. Pure mineral oil is best.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Whatever happened to Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish?

Max D.

Reply to
Max

Tung oil varnish.

Reply to
George

I have used mineral oil on cutting boards and it gives a very nice finish. However, you will have to renew a couple of times a year if the board gets used much.. Good part is the stuff is cheap and you can keep it in the kitchen for finish renewals.

Reply to
RonB