Refrigeration mineral oil -- OK for what else?

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it, but is it OK to use in air tools?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

It won't especially hurt them, but it is a little too viscous, and lacking any plating or anti-corrosion additives that are good things to have in air tool lubricant.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I would toss it ( recycle ). What does air tool oil cost? Pennies. Is it worth putting this

*stuff* into your tools to save a dollar? Only you can decide. I wouldn't. I would throw it away and buy air-tool oil, which I have. A little goes a long way. A quart will last years.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

That's more than my air tool costs.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

However, that's not more than replacement air tools cost unless you're in the habit of getting things for free, in that case, sell an air tool and buy yourself some oil.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

certainly won't hurt!

BBA

Reply to
Billy Bad Assr©

Refrigeration mineral oil needs to be used in a sealed system wtih no air or moisture. It absorbs moisture, and won't be good for your air tools. Likely to cause corrosion.

The quart of oil, it's been awhile since I bought any. Five bucks or so. Maybe you can find a shop that can use it, still some R-12 air conditioners on the road. I know... I drive one every day.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unless the oil absorbs a bunch of moisture. Then it might hurt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's very tasty on salad.

Reply to
Matt

R-12 MINERAL oil does not absorb moisture. POE R-12 compatible oil (aka 'Ester oil') does. So does PAG oil for R-134a systems.

Still, air-tool oils have properties (anti corrosion, surface tension, seal compatibility etc.) that R-12 mineral oil isn't optimized for. I wouldn't use it in any air tool I cared about.

Reply to
Steve