Protect from outside...

My neighbor just found a couple of old wooden theater seats. How can he best protect it from weather? What sort of coating would you recommend?

Chad

Reply to
Mandy

protect it from weather? What sort of coating would

Take them to an antique dealer first for evaluation [and possible advice.] A neighbour of mine was having a yard sale and about to unload a chair for $20. I told him to take it to a dealer. He did, and has been collecting ever since. It was a nursing rocker, worth over $250 at the time. A dealer I know showed me an item hanging on a barn wall after the auction, and said he was going to offer to buy it. He asked what I would do. I said I'd burn it. He said it was a chair [it looked like a pile of sticks] and he could tell me who made it and when. He intended to resell at a very large profit to someone else who I suppose knew the value of a pile of sticks, and who would again resell it at a profit.

Reply to
Guess who

If they are going to be outside and are not an antique, I would recommend coating them with clear two part epoxy sealer. Woodcraft sells a brand called Mirrorcoat. The two liquids are mixed together, and then the solution hardens to form a hard plastic coating. The only problem is cost: a medium sized kit costs about 30 dollars. However, your application doesn't seem extremely demanding and the coverage can probably be fairly thin. I am working on refinishing a formerly bathroom sink and countertop made entirely out of one solid block of old growth redwood. I am going to place the sink outside as a garden sink, and I am going to use Mirrorcoat to finish wood to protect it from the elements as well as from the water in the sink.

Reply to
woodworker88