Butcher block oil IS mineral oil

the butcher block oil that you get from Rockler and WoodCraft is just mineral oil like you get at the pharmacy at a slight(5X) mark up.

I did find some leamon oil(in really fine print it says mineral oil based) and bees wax stuff for cutting boards that looks like it works rather well, don't know how well it will hold up.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Clements

What does it smell like ? My lemon oil is entirely vegetable, being pressed from lemongrass.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well.... Yes and no.

There are many grades of mineral oil. To be the very safest, one should use food grade mineral oil. You can get lesser grades for cheaper. The food grade stuff can still be had for pretty cheap if you buy it right.

I believe most butcher block oil vendors use the grade that is actually called food grade but is not the highest quality. The grade they use is for lubricating machinery, such as conveyor belts, where incendintal contact may occur with the food. It is not used as an ingredient. It is also used to spary (in very small quantities) inside rice silos to minimize the dust. Also the main ingredient used to make gel candles.

Then there is the real pure stuff, this is used in medical applications as a subtsrate for other concoctions, used to make gel caps and used in cosmetics and sold as a laxitive. Also called parrifin oil. Even this stuff can be had pretty cheap too but is more expensive. However, you have to buy it in real big quantities because it has to be transfered in a clean room type environment and the distributors don't want to crak the barrels.

I was able to get the basic food grade stuff for about $12 a gallon (in gallons) but it cost that much again to have it shipped from Texas. I can get it for about $3 a gallon once I'm ready to buy it in

55 gal drums.

Most of the vendors mix in some bees wax, orange essence, etc to give it more panash but yes, it's just the same stuff they are using as a laxative.

I have the material saftey shhest some where and some Chevron part numbers of you need them.

BW

Reply to
Bill Wallace

There is no such thing as food grade mineral oil. Mineral oil is a laxative, not a food. USP mineral oil, sold as a laxative in most stores, is as good as it gets.

Reply to
George

"George" wrote in news:41ac6906$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

And Boos is selling this as the magic snake "Boos Oil" for lots more? That just isn't nice... :-)

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

my guess is it has some leamon grass fluid in it but the bulk is mineral oil

Reply to
Richard Clements

Got wax, too, plus linseed for odor....

Reply to
George

Well a quick Google search on "Food Grade Mineral Oil" might tend to refute your assertion, but it could be a matter of semantics. I don't have my direct supplier references with me now but here is one from Citgo.

course the importance of discussing this minutia is surely questionable but I do enjoy the discourse.

BW

Reply to
Bill Wallace

More or less comparable to searching on "new and improved," I should think. Both are advertisespeak.

> Of course the importance of discussing this minutia is surely

Reply to
George

I love this back and forth!!!

Well, I think FDA, National Formulary and US Pharmacopeia may consider "Food Grade" as a bit more than "advertisespeak" (read below). And I know from advertisespeak, being a marketeer in my day job.

The Food industry accepts "Food Grade" as the common vernacular for compliance with the following standards.

Mineral oils that meet or exceed requirements set forth in the U.S. FDA regulations 21 CFR 172.878 for use in or on food for human consumption, and 21 CFR 178.3620 (a) for use as a component of nonfood articles intended for use in contact with food for human consumption. Citgo's oils also happen to be certified as Kosher with the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America.

Oils that meet the current standards of the National Formulary (NF) or US Pharmacopeia (USP), and are registered as 3H and H1 lubricants for direct and incidental food contact by NSF, for use in food plants under the jurisdiction of the USDA. CITGO Clarion Food Grade White Mineral Oil 200 conforms to the requirements of ANSI/NSF Standard 60, Drinking Water Treatment Chemicals.

Reply to
Bill Wallace

OK, eat as much as you like, and enjoy. Read FDA and you'll find it's the one that gives blessing to GRAS oils and resins.

George

the only mineral oil I can find anywhere else is at the pharmacy and it should be food safe, the directions on the bottle read "take 2 tbsp to help prevent intestanil blockage" 2 tbsp is a lot more then your ever going to get off a cutting board

Reply to
Richard Clements

Uh-oh, can't use it if it doesn't say "food grade."

My bottle doesn't either.

Reply to
George

how about "medical grade"?

Reply to
bridger

I generally settle for veterinary grade. Although I'm sure stockholm tar wouldn't count as "food grade" whoever it was intended for.

I love the farm shop. You can get _anything_ in there, even a complete copper plating setup.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
George