Resurfacing table with butcher-block surface

We have a table with a butcher-block surface that we plan to sand-down and resurface.

What are the potential alternative protective coats to put on after we finish sanding? I would prefer a touch, water-tight surface like polyurethane to more porous ones like oil or wax.

What are some specific recommendations for types of products?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
blueman

If you plan on using it as a butcher block (cutting and preparing foods) then only use a finish that is food safe. Walnut oil or mineral oil are the traditional ones. If it is just to be used as a table then I think you are on the right track with polyurethane. It provides a tough finish, great for tables which will get used. The main drawback as I see it is that poly is difficult to repair if you get a scratch or something in it. There are nice looking finishes that are easily repairable, like shellac if that is a concern.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

blueman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@consult.pretender:

For food-safe durable finishes (cutting boards) I've had good luck with General brand "salad bowl finish."

For general purpose durable use, you might try Waterlox. I have not tried it before, but based on positive comments here I ordered a couple of quarts from Highland Hardware and received them today. Looking forward to trying it out.

Reply to
Nate Perkins