Butcher Block

Hello,

I'm kind of starting off with the woodworking/restoration thing and I almost have in my possession an old butchers block. The surface has been replaced with hardwood blocks (all quite chunky and about 8 inches deep) within the main frame, but between each block is a significant gap. This is were I hope someone can help, I previously thought each block was glued and possibly dowelled also, but the gap situation I'm faced with throws that idea out the window.

Is it possible some kind of traditional filler is/was used ( sawdust/glue mixture)?

It's just that it's been put together so well it doesn't strike me as a mistake.

So if anyone can shed some light on the possible project to be, I would very much appreciate it.

THX

Reply to
Pauly

The wood dried out. I am not sure what the recomended method to rehydrate it is but that is what needs to happen. You could try the usual mineral oil thing but tyhat might seal it without actually allowing it to rehydrate. I wash mine with water and reoil it occasionally.

Reply to
gfretwell

Anyone any ideas.

Pauly Wrote: