semi synthetic V mineral oil ...

what are the real world problems on switching between the recommended 5w 30 synth blend oil and 10w 40 mineral oil in a car? I want to use up a load of 10w 40 mineral oil in it. What is likely to go?...Bearing in mind it will only be used for six months in the summer.
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:24:44 +0100, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:

Depends on the engine.
Viscosity-wise, some - especially those that require thin oils like 5w30 - can have all sorts of problems if used with thicker oil.
Base-stock-wise, again depending on the engine, there shouldn't be any great difference between mineral and semi-synth, except you'll want to change it more quickly. If it's a turbo, though, I really wouldn't - the heat of the turbo may very well cause it to carbonise in relatively short order.
For the price of even five litres of mineral (so cheap) oil, why risk it? Just chuck it on freecycle or in the lawnmower or even take it down the tip.

but I have 50L of it !!!
the engine is a 3.8 V6 ford essex (canada) manufactured 1995 and is prown to head gasket failure ...... Perhaps I shouldn't risk it then...ta

prone...
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:59:04 +0100, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:

Ah...

You might be better off asking in a North American group, then, where they've actually seen that engine.

Can't see the difference being particularly significant to HG life.
TBH, in something of that era and understressedness - especially given the age of design - I'd probably be quite happy to just do it - but I'd want to find out if there was a particular reason that viscosity was recommended. 5w30 is REALLY thin for a '90s lump.
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 16:05:20 +0000 (UTC), Adrian

Parts of Canada can get awfully cold in the winter...
--

Chris

no... no... that is what they call the engine....I'm in the near of Glasgow .....
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:35:58 +0100, "Jim at the Common Riding"

Oops! LMAO!
--

Chris

but shirley the 5w end is good in very cold weather ????
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:48:07 +0100, "Jim at the Common Riding"

Yes, certainly. 5W is less viscous in cold weather than 10W. The W stands for Winter BTW. A 5W-30 oil stays more fluid at low temperatures than a 10W-40 oil, but the latter retains viscosity better at high temperatures than the former. Good low-temperature performance is important for starting in ice-cold winter weather if the car's been outside overnight, and for the first mile or so thereafter while the engine warms up. Retaining viscosity at high temperatures would be important if you were planning to drive across the Sahara in summer, for example.
I can't really see that you'd be troubled by using the 10W-40, unless Glasgow is hit by an extraordinarily cold winter in 8 months time.
And don't call me Shirley
--

Chris

OK Chris.......wondered what the W stood for ... I will only be using the convertible April to September so fine I was just really worried about seals swelling ..... etc
On 07/06/2015 19:27, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:

A synthetic blend is just hydrocarbons, the same as the mineral oil. So no difference to rubber seals.

A distinct possibility, apparently. El Niño, it is said, is all set for a repeat of the cold snowy winters we experienced five or six years ago. That means life as we know it comes to a complete standstill south of Newcastle, but up here in Aberdeenshire life will continue as normal. Those in Glasgow will just chuck an extra Mars Bar in the deep fat fryer.

Sorry Laverne.
--
Graeme

On 07/06/2015 18:48, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:

Indeed, Which is why oils like Mobil 1 sell well in Finland.
--
Michael Chare

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 18:35:58 +0100, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:

Because it was developed and built there. So, yes, the recommended oil may well be specced for cold winters and - in a car sold in the south of the US - hot summers.
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 16:05:20 +0000 (UTC)

When I lived in Michigan, 5W30 was the standard oil.
--
Davey.

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 18:20:14 +0100, Davey wrote:

What was the standard change interval...? 3k miles?
Gawd bless the 'merkins. Driving conditions that mean they could easily and safely extend changes far more than here - yet they change oil almost every time they switch the damned engine off...

we just can't affort to ...
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 19:01:18 +0100, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:

You're buying your oil at the wrong place, then.
On Sunday, 7 June 2015 19:00:32 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:

I always think that Americans are far more susceptible to advertising than is good for them.