semi synthetic V mineral oil ...

what are the real world problems on switching between the recommended 5w 30 synth blend oil and 10w 40 mineral oil in a car? I want to use up a load of

10w 40 mineral oil in it. What is likely to go?...Bearing in mind it will only be used for six months in the summer.
Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

Depends on the engine.

Viscosity-wise, some - especially those that require thin oils like 5w30

- can have all sorts of problems if used with thicker oil.

Base-stock-wise, again depending on the engine, there shouldn't be any great difference between mineral and semi-synth, except you'll want to change it more quickly. If it's a turbo, though, I really wouldn't - the heat of the turbo may very well cause it to carbonise in relatively short order.

For the price of even five litres of mineral (so cheap) oil, why risk it? Just chuck it on freecycle or in the lawnmower or even take it down the tip.

Reply to
Adrian

but I have 50L of it !!!

the engine is a 3.8 V6 ford essex (canada) manufactured 1995 and is prown to head gasket failure ...... Perhaps I shouldn't risk it then...ta

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

Ah...

You might be better off asking in a North American group, then, where they've actually seen that engine.

Can't see the difference being particularly significant to HG life.

TBH, in something of that era and understressedness - especially given the age of design - I'd probably be quite happy to just do it - but I'd want to find out if there was a particular reason that viscosity was recommended. 5w30 is REALLY thin for a '90s lump.

Reply to
Adrian

Parts of Canada can get awfully cold in the winter...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Jim at the Common Riding scribbled

Will they mix or do you have to completely remove all traces of your current oil.

Reply to
Jonno

When I lived in Michigan, 5W30 was the standard oil.

Reply to
Davey

no... no... that is what they call the engine....I'm in the near of Glasgow .....

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

I will change the oil and filter until I use the 50L up.....then go back to

5w 30 semi ....
Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

Oops! LMAO!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

but shirley the 5w end is good in very cold weather ????

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

what about gaskets and rubber seals etc... will heavier mineral oil bugger them up ? .....

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

What was the standard change interval...? 3k miles?

Gawd bless the 'merkins. Driving conditions that mean they could easily and safely extend changes far more than here - yet they change oil almost every time they switch the damned engine off...

Reply to
Adrian

Nope. But the thicker viscosity will give higher pressures which _might_... Very unlikely, though.

Reply to
Adrian

we just can't affort to ...

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

Unless it's a cutting edge design, you'll likely be fine. Just half the recommended oil change interval.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because it was developed and built there. So, yes, the recommended oil may well be specced for cold winters and - in a car sold in the south of the US - hot summers.

Reply to
Adrian

They'll mix. All engine oils Joe Average is ever likely to come across are miscible.

Reply to
Adrian

OK thanks...I'm going to use the 10w 40 mineral up then ......

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding