Oil filter change in old car - how often?

I last changed the engine oil filter in my Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo deisel, about 2 years ago. Is that pushing it, a bit? I should say it is a 16 year- old vehicle.

What is the effect of *never* changing the oild filter? Does the filter eventually clog up, or what?

As for oil changes, there is a slight leak in the rocker box gasket, so the occasional oil top-ups amount to a complete oil change about every 2 years, without needing to undo the sump nut - very convenient. ;-)

TIA

Al

Reply to
AL_n

6000ml/6months whichever is the sooner. more modern diesels are 12000ml/12months.

You might be adding clean oil regularly but the leak is not getting rid of any of the sludge from your sump neither do you burn any sludge.

Workout how much hassle and cost to you of a seized engine compared with

2hrs max per year changing your own oil.

Go figure as our 'merkin friends say.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The filter will block oil flow, keeping the bypass valve open, meaning the engine is running on unfiltered oil continuously. Carbon deposits will help blow engine seals and there will be an increase in bore and bearing wear. Tappets may gunge up causing erratic and possibly dangerous running, think of a valve sticking while cornering on slippy stuff.

Should make an ideal demonstration when doing an oil change.

Reply to
thirty-six

Why not just look at the service details? All vehicles are not the same and the maker generally knows best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you sure?

I am sure my 54 reg van has the oil change at around 30000 miles. I cannot find the handbook at the moment to check that. Not that I need it as there is a light comes on the dash to tell me to swap the oil and this is based on the type and style of driving that I do.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Bloody hell - did you hit the zero too many times?

Reply to
Huge

I wouldn't claim to be an expert but when service intervals started increasing for petrol cars in the 90's, diesels stuck at 6000/6months meaning (at the time, whilst fuel costs were lower for diesel) , the increased servicing costs meant that diesels were only worthwhile if the extended engine life was brought into the sums. The diesel manufacturers responded and extended to 12k/12m which is the case for my 54 plate ford diesel car. I've not come across vehicles offering 30k miles servicing but now I have bought my car, I've not continued to look at service intervals for other makes.

As another poster mentioned, the makers recommendations are likely to be correct.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My TDI engine is 18,000 miles/24 months, with a possible earlier oil change depending on driving style.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Large oil sumps (7-8L) mean twice as long oil drain intervals compared to small (3.7-4.0L). It was all done for the fleet buyer who basically wanted a) minimal servicing costs and b) resale on the used market to be close to what they bought at on the subsidised fleet bulk buyer market.

Nothing to stop someone using a fleet oil from a motor factor like Comma, it will be a fair bit less. Note generic oil filters often have different bypass oil pressure compared to OEM. This can raise its head during cold starts etc.

Check your air filter if getting a bit forgetful, the rubber seal DOES break down with age and go through the engine & lodge in the cat. I know this because of the smell of burning rubber once and it was not my tyres... had completely forgotten... must have been 8yrs rather than the suggested 2yrs. Mileage wise it was right, but age wise things do deteriorate. Likewise coolant level is easy to "drift off to the back burner" when something somewhere gets a tiny bit leaky (crack in a plastic fitting which only propogates over years and only opens at certain temperatures).

Modern diesels are very hard on their oil, the particulate buildup is severe and multiple short trips or poor monitoring of oil level can result in very big bills. Things are also not well made, intercoolers are the thinnest aluminium they could get to come out of the factory without imploding on impact with a neutrino.

Reply to
js.b1

yes.

I would change the filter and drain teh oil about every 10k miles. It is not a big job.

Failure to do that will limit engine life to about 80K miles max instead of the 200K most engines will do if not abused.

Note to buyers: Beware the 2 year old car with 120k on the clock: Or the one year old with 60K..Its a reps car and many companies simply never service them at all from new till resale. It may look shiny, but it probably never had a pad change or an oil change in its life.

And in any case, if the pedal rubbers are worn and its got 20k on the clock, worry. Its not so easy to clock cars as it was BUT you can get the plates and the speedo off a wreck and put them on a high mileage car..or just the speedo sometimes..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thst VERY modern.

Really tight torlearnces and beter materials and beter design and synthetic oils have pushed oil changes from 3000 miles (BMC A series) to

6000 miles (later BMC series) to 10k miles or annually (most modern cars I have driven)

I believe some will do better..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A half decent car will store the mileage information elsewhere in addition. Making it extremely difficult to alter the true reading without it showing it has been tampered with.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but not impossible...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. I now have the manual. It's 2 years or 30000 miles and uses a SAE 5W-40 oil.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some Vauxhall petrol engines are 2 years, 20000 miles. So I wouldn't put it out of the realms of possibility for there to be a few vehicles like that with modern engines and oils. Though changing more often than that will probably do the engine good.

I think my Vectra (1.8 VVT petrol) is 1 year, 20000 miles, but as I do less than 6K a year it's just annual anyway.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Crumbs.

Reply to
Huge

Nothing is impossible. However, to change both the speedo and the engine ECU - and alter them so they can't be traced - requires rather more skill than the average car thief possesses. But then many buyers won't care that they've bought stolen goods either. At a knock down price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not convinced it does. Most engines outlast the car anyway these days

- unless they suffer a failure like a broken cambelt or cooling system, neither of which will be prevented by frequent oil changes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With two or three years between servicing, it's likely to be more prevalent.

Reply to
thirty-six

Most have a maximum time between services as well as a mileage limit - specifically for low use vehicles. But there's nothing to stop you doing a look over the engine as often as you want, rather than hoping it will be done at oil change time.

I can - just - remember when cars went from 3000 to 5000 mile oil changes. Exactly the same arguments were used then...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)