Oil filter change in old car - how often?

I don't recall many tales of them snapping, but they wore out rather too quickly, due to a crappy oil spray bar design, which was improved.

Reply to
grimly4

certainly the engine "used" a lot of oil. A pint top-up was needed about every 1200 miles. I'd complained about this and when I'd had teh car about

18 months, Ford arranged a "retrospective warranty modification". This involved replacing the valves with ones with polished stems so tht the oil seals could do a proper job. I was interested in cars in those days.
Reply to
charles

You forget why then? How about a new press machine that needed less operators and the unions insisting on having the same number of operators even if some had to sit and watch. There isn't any point in investing if you are only going to get the same cost of output. You invest to make stuff cheaper so you can sell more, if you can't make it cheaper you move to Poland.

Look at Kraft, they are investing millions in Cadbury but are cutting jobs as they will be able to make the stuff cheaper. The unions are talking about action to make sure the investment is cancelled and Poland is looking quite good for making Bourneville plain.

Reply to
dennis

Ooooer!, maybe that's what's wrong with my tyre pressure sensors?

Reply to
dennis

Irrelevant!

Reply to
The Other Mike

I think magneto engines have had it for years, the magneto makes two sparks per cycle, one for each rev of the crank.

Reply to
dennis

But who would bother?

Fact of the day:

All the modern Mercs, Audis, VW's, Fords, Vauxhalls, Nissans, Toyota's, Honda's, Renaults, Peugeots etc will never be classics.

Go into an car park of say 1000 cars and only a very, very small handful might be worth saving 20 years down the line. With the exception of a select few cars that are style icons (like Alfa's for instance) the rest won't need restoring as they are only fit for the crusher at the end of their lives.

Corrosion protection from the mid 90's was really good on some makes, and not necessarily the premium ones.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Wasting his time then as one sample is pretty well meaningless. Now if he did half a fleet of a 1000 cars the results may be useful.

Reply to
dennis

My concern is: What happens when just one computer on a modern car fails, in a few years' time? Is someone going to stock all the thousands of variations that are already out there? And if you do find one, how much will it cost?

Reply to
Davey

Could you just confirm your age and occupation to the panel?

I suspect the answer is "long retired Castle Bromwich worker."

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

?!?!?!?!? Is it still 1956 in your world?

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

That's the upshot. One has to sometimes assume that people don't make up threads on Usenet /just/ for the sake of it. Must have been 8 years ago now.

Well, you'd know.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Ummmm.... Since both ground electrode of both spark plugs are, errr, grounded they're effectively in parallel. Both sparks will travel in the same direction. The secondary of the coil is effectively centre tapped.

Not that the direction of travel of the spark, such as it is, would affect anything much.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

EDIS coils are marked with the cylinder number.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was the A plus version. Not the same as the earlier A Series. The A series engine had more variants than many had hot dinners.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Citroen 2CV back in the 60's

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

with 1960s oils it wasn't. Or 1960s QC

e.g. my 1980s haynes maual for triumph spitfires puts the oil change at

6000 with a sniffy note 'that this has been extended by he manufacture to 12000 on later models' as if they couldn't be held responsible if the engine flew apart.. ;-)

And that was a triumph engine..rather better on cylinder wear rather worse on bearings from memory.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Honda, 1960s. Iirc, they weren't the first, even at that.

Reply to
grimly4

I'd bet it's not real synthetic at that price, but an erzatz synthetic.

Reply to
grimly4

Cobblers. Even on my SOJC, it's 90K. I notice you've been spouting a load of bollocks in this thread.

Reply to
grimly4