Oil filter change in old car - how often?

mine was 13 years old and about 90,000 mile when I sold it. I never had a problem.

Reply to
charles

Definitely. I tend to change the oil at least a bit more frequently than the manufacturer's recommendations and I always change the filter.

Huge numbers of company cars are lease cars, with servicing included, so companies are quite happy to shove them in for regular services. If you do buy one, you can often get the computer print out that shows every service, every repair/replacement, etc. complete with dates and mileages as the lease companies can be quite hot on tracking it all.

In some ways it's probably easier than ever to clock a car (with the right kit) and there will be no giveaways like scratched "glass" or surrounds or misaligned digits which could be a giveaway on mechanical odometers.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

He was a fleet manager and wanted to see if he was wasting money on servicing.

Reply to
Scott M

but you get double sparking with those.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I only believe the makers know what the fleet buyers want. Me; I'll continue to change my oil at 6K intervals.

Reply to
grimly4

I read it as "not doing interim oil changes, only good for 80k."

Reply to
Scott M

Yours was a Tuesday car then :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

similar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd suggest you read up on the history of BL. The 'factory owner' spending money on new machinery? Perish the thought - unless with a government handout. Every possible penny went to the shareholders.

Which is the main reason UK industry failed. Lack of investment. Unlike Germany.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ford were one of the first with wasted spark. Called EDIS. A coil with two outputs drives a pair of cylinders. So two coils for a four, 3 for a six cylinder, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No such thing. You need the correct oil for your engine. For example, some older pushrod engines have higher loads on the camshaft lobes than modern OHC multi-valve designs, so need an oil with additives that aren't used in the latest oils.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could you have another go at explaining what you mean?

If you're talking about coil polarity reversal, it can't happen these days as the plugs are polarised.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Again....It is the highest spec

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So this van went for 100,000 miles with no oil or filter change and there was no adverse affects? Such fantasy.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Too right. Gearbox oil is often left. It needs changing in an economy car probably sometime within six months to get rid of all the swarf from manufacturing and allow for initial wear-in of the cogs, and thereafter at every 20,000 to 40,000 miles unless driven particularly sedately.

Reply to
thirty-six

BMW (THE GERMANS) investment into Rover (THE BRITISH) was to introduce the double-ended sparking coil and rename the models. A rather large nail in the coffin.

Reply to
thirty-six

Double ended coils reverse the spark for the opposing cylinders, it matters not which way round the coil is connected, it is wrong for half the time.

Reply to
thirty-six

5l fully synthetic at Asda for 20 quid.
Reply to
thirty-six

As fitted to the Marina, Maestro and Metro, the main service interval (with 1980's oils) was 12,000 miles without any intermediary interval.

They might survive, but their economy and performance will suffer, along with driver satisfaction.

Reply to
thirty-six

I think Cit beat them with the 2CV :-)

Reply to