Type of oil

My mechanic likes to use Castrol extended and change oil every 5000 miles. I have alway s used Pennzoil 10/30 and changed oil every 3000 miles. which one is right? Or both of us right? Whaddaya think guys?

Follow manufacturer's recommendations.

If you use penzoil, change every 3000. Same with Quaker State. Using a more highly refined oil with less parafins (Like Castrol GTX) go 5000. Or use synthetic and go 10,000.
Really - it's not just mileage - it's how the miles are put on - short trips, high temperaturs, al kinds of things come into play.

  I think Pennzoil will gunk up your engine with paraffin deposits . I use Castrol GTX in all my bikes and automobiles and change it every 5-6 thousand miles . Injected motors burn so much cleaner than carbed motors that I think they can go longer between changes . I also use Wix filters , best filter on the market IMO .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 06/16/2019 07:31 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I use either NAPA Gold or Wix depending on where I buy the filter. I've been told Wix makes the NAPA filter. My preference has a lot to do with the threading. The base of Wix filters is punched and threaded into the body of the filter and I find it easier to start than the brands that are punched outward, if that makes any sense.
On 6/16/2019 12:12 PM, rbowman wrote:

  Makes sense to me . In fact , Wix makes NAPA Gold filters . IIRC the Wix number for your Evo (and some Shovelheads) is a 51215 , the NAPA Gold is 1215 . Back around 1999 or so some guys on the XL-List cut up a bunch of filters to see how they compared . Fram was the cheesiest with the least and thinnest filtration medium . Wix won over all , and I haven't used anything else since .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 6/16/2019 1:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Throughout the years, I have often seen comparison videos of oil filters and Fram continuously ends up at the bottom. Wix, Mobile 1, Bosch, Purolater usually on top as well as a few others depending who's doing the test and what model filter.
On 6/16/2019 1:24 PM, Meanie wrote:

But have you ever seen any actual performance tests that indicate the visual comparisons have any relevance to actual filtration performance and resultant demonstrably better engine performance in terms of fewer oil contamination or other failures even remotely that could be demonstrated as owing to the filter?

Oil related engine failures are so rare it would be hard to really make any kind of comparison. I know people, mostly single mom types, who never change their oil and they end up throwing the car away for things other than an engine failure. The oil looks like tar but it still seems to be working.

Yeah, the mechanic who did the rego check did say that someone had blown up their Getz engine that way but it wasn’t clear if that was just running out of oil completely.
I did find mine had an odd clicking noise at idle at 3OK with no oil or filter change that went away with an oil and filter change. Didn’t bother to check if it was the oil or the filter.

I did that with my 73 Golf. Still have it but stopped using it when the known windscreen leak produced a rusted floor that meant it could no longer be registered and I couldn’t be arsed fixing it after 45 years.

Mine didn’t, but the Golf did use some oil.

Yeah, mine was working fine, no smoky exhaust or anything.
On 6/16/2019 2:28 PM, dpb wrote:

None and I highly doubt a filter will cause major damage to an engine. The exception is installing the wrong size filter and it comes off while driving, thus, all oil poured out and the engine seized. Yes, I know someone who had it happen.

The only REAL problem with some filters is the filtration media "splits" or comes loose from the endcaps - or drainback valves leak or come apart - or cans leak - or the "base gaskets" don't properly seal against the mount so they ALWAYS leak.
There ARE better quality filters than the base fram orange can filters - the extraguard and synthetic Fram's being 2 of several.
There may be getter filters available than a WIX - but not many applications where the "better" filter would have any effect under normal use.
I'm going back to using Frams on my 13 year old Ranger with 368000km on it - with synthetic oil changed twice a year. The oil AND filter are still "clean" at these intervals (works out to about 6000km per change) so why do I need anything "better"??
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 2:28:41 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

. IIRC

Same question as to changing oil at 3,000 vs 5,000. I didn't think any new cars were less than 5K today. I'd like to see any studies that show 3K vs 5K or similar has any real effect on any engine problems in the typical life of a car. Meaning, if you have a car, change the oil every 5K, get rid of it at 150K is there any evidence that a failure occurred that would not have if you changed it at 3K? Or even if you keep the car to 250K, does it really make a difference or is it just money down the train to change it more often?
On 6/16/2019 5:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:

My car is 7500 miles for normal driving. The warranty is for 100,000 miles. They would not offer the warranty if they did not think it would make it that far.
I imagine testing of some sort was done to conclude that
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a14504778/can-engine-oil-last-20000-miles-heres-how-engineers-test-that-claim/
On 6/16/2019 1:24 PM, Meanie wrote:

  Well , I can't think of a less biased group than a bunch of Harley riders - virtually all of them/us wrench on our own bikes - deciding "what's best for my ride" ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 06/16/2019 02:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Except for Harley... Never, never use synthetic oil. Last time I was at the dealers it was hard to find anything other than synthetic. Of course it's extra special H-D synthetic. Sport-Trans has went the way of the dodo.
After I use up my stash of special Suzuki and Harley lubricants they'll all get Rotella and like it. The V-Strom already is there.

Real Harleys didn't have oil filters.

You mean before 1937? You don't need no stinkin' filter with a total loss system :)

I never saw a filter in anything up through the mid 70s. There might have been a screen in the tank but there was nothing I would call an oil filter.
says...

I knew a few that worked at a WIX filter factory. They made filters for several brands. Some were the same with a different paint job and some were different internally.
My son worked for Lance ( a snack food company). They had a product similar to Oreo cookies. When the Oreo company could not make enough Oreos, Lance would make the cookies for them.
Lots of companies sell either the very same or similar items made at one factory. Sometimes the product is the same , sometimes it is slightly different and not the same quality.