Type of oil

My mechanic likes to use Castrol extended and change oil every 5000 miles. I have alway s used Pennzoil 10/30 and changed oil every 3000 miles. which one is right? Or both of us right? Whaddaya think guys?

Reply to
herbwhite59

Follow manufacturer's recommendations.

Reply to
dpb

  I think Pennzoil will gunk up your engine with paraffin deposits . I use Castrol GTX in all my bikes and automobiles and change it every 5-6 thousand miles . Injected motors burn so much cleaner than carbed motors that I think they can go longer between changes . I also use Wix filters , best filter on the market IMO .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

The great oil debate continues. The debate nowadays is how long between changes.

If your vehicle requires 10w-30, then that's what you need to use. Brand is a matter of preference, though, I prefer Pennzoil also. What matters most is the grade.

Today's engines are well designed to drive farther than the 3000 mile change, especially if using synthetic blends. Though, you didn't provide vehicle info, I'll guess it as within 10 years old and the 5000 mile change will not hurt it, thus, the 3000 surely won't hurt either. You're just spending more money. It is recommended to follow the manufacturers guide in the manual.

Reply to
Meanie

Follow the makers recommendations. I had a 1990 Camery and I think the change was at 7500 miles. With the way I drive (mostly to work 15miles each way) I put close to enough miles on the car I changed it twice a year. Once at the anual state inspection and once 6 months later. Put

190,000 miles on it before getting a new car. Had no engine problems.

If you live in an area with dirt roads, drive only a mile or two each time, or put the car to hard use , then the 3000 might be ok, but for normal use I would go to atleast 5000 and maybe more if the manual says so.

I don't put many miles on the cars now,so it is once a year when I get it inspected that I have the oil and filter changed. I only had 3500 on one car last year but had it serviced and oil changed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Depends on driving conditions. Most cars can easily go 5000 or even

7500 miles on good oil. With synthetics some car makers are now 10,000 miles between changes.

If you drive short distances in the cold, go with the lower end. otherwise 5000 or more is fine. Check your owner's manual.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think you are wasting oil.

3000 miles is far too frequent. When was the last time you heard about an oil related engine failure, even with people who run the same oil for a couple of years?
Reply to
gfretwell

I use either NAPA Gold or Wix depending on where I buy the filter. I've been told Wix makes the NAPA filter. My preference has a lot to do with the threading. The base of Wix filters is punched and threaded into the body of the filter and I find it easier to start than the brands that are punched outward, if that makes any sense.

Reply to
rbowman

I get the maintenance light every 5000 miles and change the oil then. I was on vacation so I'm over this time but it will live.

It's a different animal but when a company I worked for went to Detroit

60 diesels they also started to do oil analysis. The protocol had been 12000 miles for oil and filters but it was lengthened to 20000. The shop manager said they still weren't seeing significant degradation at 20000 but they needed to set some figure.

Some airport FBO's can send a sample to a lab or you can get a kit from some places:

rbowman

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Neither depending on what sort of vehicle it is, where you are and how you use that vehicle and what the manufacturer recommends oil change wise and how old the vehicle is.

I gave up thinking, it just makes my head hurt.

Reply to
Rod Speed

  Makes sense to me . In fact , Wix makes NAPA Gold filters . IIRC the Wix number for your Evo (and some Shovelheads) is a 51215 , the NAPA Gold is 1215 . Back around 1999 or so some guys on the XL-List cut up a bunch of filters to see how they compared . Fram was the cheesiest with the least and thinnest filtration medium . Wix won over all , and I haven't used anything else since .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I knew a few that worked at a WIX filter factory. They made filters for several brands. Some were the same with a different paint job and some were different internally.

My son worked for Lance ( a snack food company). They had a product similar to Oreo cookies. When the Oreo company could not make enough Oreos, Lance would make the cookies for them.

Lots of companies sell either the very same or similar items made at one factory. Sometimes the product is the same , sometimes it is slightly different and not the same quality.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've heard/read similar stories about engine mileage being extended to

10,000 or more without issues. Many experts also note that the old 3000 mileage change habit is wasting money.
Reply to
Meanie

Throughout the years, I have often seen comparison videos of oil filters and Fram continuously ends up at the bottom. Wix, Mobile 1, Bosch, Purolater usually on top as well as a few others depending who's doing the test and what model filter.

Reply to
Meanie

But have you ever seen any actual performance tests that indicate the visual comparisons have any relevance to actual filtration performance and resultant demonstrably better engine performance in terms of fewer oil contamination or other failures even remotely that could be demonstrated as owing to the filter?

Reply to
dpb

In fact 10K is the manufacturer recommendation with my Hyundai Getz.

Corse it is.

Reply to
Rod Speed

12,000 km / 7500 miles / 6 months per my Kia manual. I usually go ~ 9000 km. ... it's time to add and the oil is looking dirty. With my <several> old Taurus 3 litre cars - I'd change the oil a little earlier than the manual recommendation ~ 7000 km and it would still look new - not darkened. John T.
Reply to
hubops

None and I highly doubt a filter will cause major damage to an engine. The exception is installing the wrong size filter and it comes off while driving, thus, all oil poured out and the engine seized. Yes, I know someone who had it happen.

Reply to
Meanie

  Well , I can't think of a less biased group than a bunch of Harley riders - virtually all of them/us wrench on our own bikes - deciding "what's best for my ride" ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you use penzoil, change every 3000. Same with Quaker State. Using a more highly refined oil with less parafins (Like Castrol GTX) go 5000. Or use synthetic and go 10,000.

Really - it's not just mileage - it's how the miles are put on - short trips, high temperaturs, al kinds of things come into play.

Reply to
Clare Snyder