Whirlpool oven WLP83800

Self cleaning option does not work on my oven (oven came with the house I bought) but now despite what temperature i set it at the temp ends up over 400 degrees. I bought an oven thermometer and it confirms this. There is a clunk at times that sounds like the self cleaning option has been turned o ff but we have never turned it on. The door does not lock
Does this oven sound "fixable"?
Chris
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 6:58:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I bought) but now despite what temperature i set it at the temp ends up ov er 400 degrees. I bought an oven thermometer and it confirms this. There is a clunk at times that sounds like the self cleaning option has been turned off but we have never turned it on. The door does not lock

Sure, the question is how much will it cost. Then a lot of factors, come into play, like how old is it, how satisfied are you with it, how much does a new one that you'd replace it with cost, etc. Going over temp sounds like it could just be a bad sensor. IDK how that applies to self cleaning, but it's possible that won't activate if it knows the temp sensor isn't right.
I just want to bide my time before having to buy another due to cost.

Anything can be fixed, the questions though, is it worth it? If in otherwise good shape, sure. If crappy and problematic, dump it.
You may find what you need to diagnose it here https://www.repairclinic.com/Video/Video-Landing/2935-13/Top-Reasons-Oven-Won-t-Turn-On-Electric-Oven-Troubleshooting

It's 16 years old so I doubt you could even find new parts for it.
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 6:28:34 AM UTC-4, Bob S wrote:

e I bought) but now despite what temperature i set it at the temp ends up over 400 degrees. I bought an oven thermometer and it confirms this. There is a clunk at times that sounds like the self cleaning option has been turn ed off but we have never turned it on. The door does not lock

I would think there is a good chance at least common parts are available, eg temp sensor. He didn't indicate if he's capable of DIY or plans on calling for service. That changes the equation greatly. Probably not worth it calling for service. But if he can DIY he should google for whatever make and model oven, or even just same make, and temperature problem and see what comes up. Might even be a video about it and how to fix. If they say the temp sensor is the likely problem, he could find out if one is available, including on Ebay. Might be worth throwing $25 at, see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, can always sell the part on Ebay too.
On 6/17/2019 10:31 AM, trader_4 wrote:

repairclinic.com listed 12 pages of available parts for that model. Of course that does not mean they have what he needs. Agree on trying a cheap fix
To have a repairman come out has to be $100 or more. If otherwise in pristine condition, worth fixing, but if on the edge, go for a new one would be my advice.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 16 Jun 2019 15:58:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So your thermostat is bad. What I think most people call the "temp sensor".

At times meaning what times? After you've turned the oven off? Could that noise just be some part cooling off and bending back to its original shape? Or if it's after you turn it on, some part getting hot and bending, or swelling to where it hits somethiing a bit?

Because you don't have it on self-clean. Half y ou ever got it on self-clean.

Yes, as everyone said.
Is this gas or electric?