Dacor W305 Wall Oven not holding Temp

I am totally disturbed with this product. I have had it for about 15 years and it has been nothing but trouble. I know, I should get just rid of it, however, as I will be moving in a year or so and the unit still looks good, I don't want to do that. This unit is pure crap. It has never held the set temperature. I have had Dacor service work on it and even had a new controller installed a few years ago. Dacor provided the controller, but >>required

Reply to
Art Todesco

"Art Todesco" wrote in message news:b9S0g.70297$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

We have a 27 inch 2005 Dacor wall model electric, and a Dacor gas range. Both had some temp. probs to start with, but can be easily user recalibrated from the front panel controls. Being older, your oven may have to be serviced to adjust the temp. Within the warrantee period we got both ovens to cook accurately, using a Dacor designated service - a local independent repairmen. Unfortunately Dacor rates poorly in frequency of repair, but once adjusted, in my experience, can have long and stable lives. My ovens "hunt" for the set temp. and the swings while hunting can be as much as 30 degrees or so each way near the beginning of the heating cycle, but we still get good cooking results, because the avg maintained temp is exactly right. Three hours to get a smoked ham to 130 degrees, from fridge temp, is not all that off the mark, in our experience. It takes hours for the temp gradient inside the ham to even out, and attain the desired temp in the core. Fridge temp could be as much as 90 degrees cooler than your target temp. I dont know about your thermocouple test, but oven testing thermometers can be notoriously off calibration themselves. I have two, and one understated temp by 25 degrees vs the other. The technician's digital probe agreed exactly with one of the thermometers, so I threw out the other one. What to do? Bottom Line, the Dacor website is complete and very helpful. Go to dacor.com, and hit Customer Service. You can either write them from this site (just copy your letter) or use their toll free number, and talk directly to an oven engineer/technician right at the manufacturing facility there in S California. We have found them extremely flexible, responsive, courteous, as well as knowledgeable. Best of Luck

Reply to
Roger

Thanks for the info. Actually, the ham was a small one and was actaully in the oven at 300 degrees for 3 1/2 hours. I think the actaul temp, from my tests today, was running between 230 and 260, but I didn't have the themocouple in the oven at that time. I did recalibrate the oven with an offset, which makes it closer. However, the swing is still too great. When we first got the oven, about

15 years ago, the swing was about 30 or so degrees. After getting a new controller a few years ago, it was only about 15 degrees. For large mass foods, large swings are ok, but for small things, like cookies, it's horrible. I think my temperature sensor is probably the cause of this recent problem. I will call Dacor tomorrow to see what they\\ think. All I can say about Dacor is that I would never buy another one of their products.
Reply to
Art Todesco