oil spill of wood floor

I hope you can help me. Used cooking oil (peanut oil used to fry shrimp and some chicken fat) spilled on my hard wood floors and sat till I came home, maybe an hour, there is now a stain, mark, and visable area that is different. Any suggestions on how to clean it. The floors were refinished maybe 2 years ago with a waterbase type of finish I think. thanks, tina

Reply to
tina

What may save your floor is that finish. Oil on unfinished (or worn) wood is like a sponge and will soak up oil. Use cheap kitty litter (the kind made from clay) and spread it over the area. Depending on the floor finish, age, condition, you could gently grind the kitty litter over the floor using a (covered) rolling pin. Wait a day for the clay to absorb the oil. If it looks like this is helping, repeat the procedure. Then use Dawn dishwashing liquid to wash the area. This may or may not work, but worth a try. Instead of the kitty litter there is a product that may be even better called "Oil-Dri" if you can find it at your automotive supply shop. Good luck and let us know what you tried that worked--I'd like to know!

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi Tina I hope this helps.

Remove as much grease as possible with newspaper, paper towels, or a plastic spatula. On wood and cork, put a cloth saturated with dry cleaning fluid on the stain for five minutes. Then wipe the area dry and wash with detergent and water. .

Cautions: When working with any chemicals, carefully read and follow the label directions for using that chemical, especially any cautions on safe use! With solvents, be very careful to have ventilation, and no flame or spark in area!

The first time you use any procedure on any floor, test it first on an out-of-the-way part of the floor to be sure it does not damage the flooring or finish.

Regards, The Fuller Brush Man

Fuller Brush Man

Thanks so much to both of you....I'll let you know what we end up doing and trying. tina

Reply to
tina