holy crap, high end furniture assembled with nails everywhere.

much came up from Mexico. I actually had a guy that was on a job tell me h ow they got that look. They left the hinges outside in the weather, banged them up with hammers, and many were actually hand assembled from stamped p ieces, so they made sure they were poor fitting. The "finish" was pieces o f roofing tar or asphalt dropped into gasoline and where it melted and then was slathered on with a rag.

er have a good quality MDF product or a convention that is gaining steam in Europe. MDF carcasses, wood stiles and rails, and then super high density (really stable) doors that are painted a contrasting color.

Some of you guys are almost making me feel bad...LOL... about some of my pi eces and work, but I don't readily sell my pieces. Referencing details of my gun cabinet, with *nails and "distressed areas"-

It's made with old salvaged hand hewn boards, so there's lots of nail holes . Well, this (pic) is the "high-end" (the crown)

The curved (inside) center is kerf bent. Old boards, as this, don't steam bend, well, if at all.

From the above pic, scroll left for 1) A "lower end" (inside the upper cabi net), shows details of the shelf and bracing. And 2 & 3) The "lower end" ( lower cabinet top). I supposed the holes would gather dust, so I installe d old cut nails into these holes. These nails were pulled from old lumber and saved, for just this sort of decor application on this and future proj ects. Actually, on the gun cabinet, there were so many holes, it looked ba d. Filling the holes help the look, a lot, and the nails solution was bet ter than any dedicated filler.

*I'd guess at least 50% of craftsmen, here, slap together projects, for qui ck sale. There doesn't seem to be much desire, on their part, to improve t heir poor skills. *I'm not impressed with many of the pieces display at a recently opened (2 yrs ago) "Paul Michaels". They seem to market to the unknowing, yet wealt hy, clientele. *Shabby-chic painted furniture was the rage not long ago, but that seems to be on the down turn, these days. The furniture they paint are poor exampl es of good-to-quality pieces, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nice size but not nearly enough guns. ;-)

The shelf and bracing are pretty neat. Nice overall!

Reply to
krw

You got flying beaver down there?

Reply to
clare

Yeah. I had just brought it to the camp and there were only BB guns availa ble for display.

That adjustable bracing technique was copied from a 1800s china cabinet, th e cabinet maker's name I don't recall, at the moment. When I first saw tha t bracing technique, I was impressed with its simplicity. It accommodated the un-planed boards, more so, than other types of "exacting" shelf bracing , and went well with the "hand built" or more rustic (no conventional hardw are) theme.

Thanks.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

LOL. No, but we got rats and mice. Though you can't see it very well, the re are matching notches on the bottom edge/style of the cabinet and I purpo sely incorporated and "aligned" the similar notches, that way.

These salvaged boards were the roofing furring boards, that the wood shingl es were nailed to, hence, an odd place for mouse or rat chewed notches. O ther boards, from that old house, seemed to have been second hand boards (p reviously salvaged), as well. The notches may have been gnawed when in the ir previous structure.

This design element went well, with the overall desired & purposeful primit ive build and look.

I removed the drawers, from the lower cabinet, since they functioned poorly (too small). I installed an interior bottom-shelf and have made doors. I 've looked for appropriate hinges, but I may try to make hinges, using some copper sheeting, I have handy. Copper hinges would match the copper tubi ng door handles (previously the drawer handles).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny