Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

A few issues:

1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer n ot to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later. T hings fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement? 2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it l ater. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'm sorry, but it would not fit in my house. Gorgeous! I couldn't visualize it until now.

Reply to
G. Ross

Cher, that's not woodworking, that's art!

Gorgeous!!

Reply to
Swingman

I think it looks great, Had it been 11'4" I think it would have been way too big. :-)

Reply to
Leon

It looks great Sonny. How heavy is it is what I was wondering to myself and then took it ridiculous thinking you might want to reinforce the floor were it is going.

Reply to
Markem

Thanks. I don't always describe or present things for best understanding. It was a design in progress, to some extent, so even I was unsure of the final outcome.

Initially, I had considered the table for the camp, with a vague idea of wh at it would look like.... basic table, despite being walnut. The more I t hought of design ideas and worked on the individual boards, and later using the root ball for leg units, the better the design concept developed.

Now, I'm not so sure I want to put it at the camp.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That's quite a piece! Really creative legs too. Do you get to keep it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thanks, Karl.

When we tore down that old cypress house, I didn't pay attention to some of the surrounding trees, mostly small scrubs and trash trees. Not until la ter did I see this particular walnut log dozed to the side. The other wal nut tree was in poor shape, more so for firewood and some turning blanks.

Salvaging the log was no brainer. The wood, itself, should take the credi t for its art worthiness, not my hobbyist building skills. I'm lucky to ha ve been able to do it justice.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks, Leon. LOL, yeah. There was a defect on the end of one board. If I had trimmed all boards, to remove the defect, the table would have been

8" shorter.... plus, I would have cut off that dutchman, shown in one of t he pics (underside of the table). I patched/filled the defect with (prett y much) matching patchwork.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 9:18:03 AM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

Thanks. The top is heavy, maybe 250 lbs., 300 lbs might be stretching it. The whole base may weigh 175 lbs, maybe 200 lbs. The leg units' footprint is 39" wide.

I, alone, can carry/move the individual parts of the base. It'll take at least 3, probably 4 people to comfortably carry the table top.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks, Bill. The legs created themselves, I just dressed them up, a bit.

My nephew says it's too nice for the camp. I'll keep it for a while, at least. Not sure where it will end up. I do need to get it out of the shop, though. My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for the time being.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

"Sonny" wrote: Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

------------------------------------------------------------- So when do you do the fork lift to compliment the table?

Enjoy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

< My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for the time being.

That's a gorgeous table Sonny. People with loads of money pay huge sums for that type of table to stick in their $15 million dollar summer log "cabins". I suspect the more your charge for it the better they like it. I've seen them often on "Epic log Homes" I believe.

Reply to
Jack

LOL. Actually, it's not so bad lifting and moving the table top, as one m ight suppose. Certainly no different than moving a side-by-side frig/free zer or a chest freezer. As is, it's difficult for two people to move or m anipulate. Flipping it, on the saw horses, is easy for two people. I hav e some furniture carts, that will be sufficient for rolling the top around. The other individual parts can be easily managed by one person.

Next project: I've started work on a coat rack/bench, for the camp, using some of the pecan from a fallen tree, at the farm. The initial idea, for the pecan, was to make headboards for the beds, and the headboards will eve ntually be made. These pecan boards have warped, really bad, so they won' t be planed and sanded, as the walnut has been.

Thanks Lew. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks Jack. My nephew says I should sell it. Not sure what price to place on it, though. I haven't really considered selling it. I would suppose a matching set of chairs would need to go along with it, for a sale item.

Right now, it's not a dining table, but a large semi-shiny dust collector, in the shop.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

There is a small furniture store in Brenham, TX that sells this style furniture. The big difference is that the furniture is not as pretty as if they were built with walnut. They almost exclusively use Ipe. It is an effort to even move one of the table side seating benches. Not to mention, I estimate, about 4 times heavier than walnut.

Reply to
Leon

Minimum $15~20K add side benches for more $$

Reply to
Leon

Shipping extra? :) LOL

Reply to
Bill

I did Google prices and thought in the range of $6-$8K, based on 2005 and 2

007 posted prices. My nephew assessed it as you did, $15-$20K.

I do have more boards and root ball stock for benches, but I thought benche s would be too heavy. I have a set (12, 2 captain's chairs) of antique di ning chairs, salvaged from New Orleans (Katrina flood), that I thought to r efinish (lacquer) and upholster (leather & decor nails), but not sure the s tyle of these chairs would go well with this table. Once the chairs are d one, then I can better assess their mating to the table.

BTW, 4 more pics, taken with the camera (better detail), rather than the wi th phone (darker pics, less detail), have been posted:

Today, since the Saints were playing poorly and no company came by, to visi t and watch the game, I worked on the coat rack. Got the sides and seat a lmost assembled. Should finish that assembly and have the back done tomor row, then sanding. Hopefully, by this weekend, it'll be stained(?) and fi nished and ready for the (woodworking/Saints fans) kids, Ian (8) and Braxto n (9)), to install the fleur-de-lis coat hooks.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Not only is that table over the top gorgeous, it plenty damn sturdy. No matter how much food you stack on there, it will never strain this table. I wonder if people will feel they can eat more at this table. Casue they don't want to get up and leave. Let's stay awhile and eat! (And admire the table.)

Reply to
Lee Michaels