My first Cabinet

I'm pretty new to woodworking --- I've taken a class at the local boces and built a couple of small projects on my own, but I haven't yet built an honest-to-goodness piece of furniture....until now.

I needed a place to keep all the measuring and hand tools that I've started accumulating in my shop, so I decided to make a tool cabinet. I got a plan from Popular Woodworking and changed it slightly. The carcass is made out of cabinet-grade maple plywood and the drawer slides, drawer fronts and edge banding are all Ash.

Here are some pictures of the tool cabinet after staining and finishing with 4 coats of wipe on poly:

here is one before the finish:

'm proud of it- its not perfect but it feels like a good start.

Reply to
Frank

And proud you should be. Nice work and good looking finish.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Looks good!

Remember that you can always make things for the shop.

Not only does it make you more organized, it allows you to make mistakes that will not be noticed by anybody! And, of course, these projects are good to learn basic skills.

I also understand that woodworking tools just plain LIKE wood cabinets better than the steel, recycled machanic tool chests.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Frank" wrote in news:1152628070.894326.297880 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Wonderful! Congratulations!

Which plan did you use as a starting point?

Reply to
Han

I'm not sure I can reference it here... It was in a private section of their website you could get access to if you did a survey (they also had 4 other plans available in the same place - including the Ultimate Tool Bench).

Reply to
Frank

Nice job Frank, I just finished a similar one that I designed about 2 months ago. Mine is about 42" wide, 22" deep, and 66" tall and is on 4" casters. I had posted pictures on a.b.p.w. several weeks ago.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks!

I do all my news reading/posting through google groups, which doesnt cary the binary groups, so unfortunately I didn't see your shots. Sounds like a huge cabinet tho!

Frank

Reply to
Frank

good job.. but it looks too good to be a shop cabinent LOL. I'd be far too embarassed to post a picture of my first cabinent (which is still in use in the shop), but I do get a laugh over it when I remember how I thought it would be trival, and then I managed to goof up a lot of stuff (Was "winging it", you were smart to start with plans on your first project).

Reply to
bf

Nice stuff Tom,

Whats up with that second wooden fence on your bandsaw?

Reply to
Frank

Sweet! And I'm amazed at how your finish brought the grain out in the Ash.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

I know! It really takes stain well. I think I'm going to do my next project (a bookshelf) in Ash. Its the cheapest hardwood around.

Reply to
Frank

Tom was giving you a look at the recent posts to a.p.b.w. That may not be his BS.

Reply to
Leon

Ahhhhh. My mistake.

Reply to
Frank

Nice work Frank - looks similar to the one Leon made a few months back.

Dave

Teamcasa

Reply to
topbs1

You've every reason to be proud of it. It looks good, it's functional, and it follows what a lot of guys say is a good first project; something in the shop that will be with you for a long time.

I too, am new to the hobby, and have yet to jump in with a bigger project. Seeing your pics has given me one more little nudge to move beyond the stage I'm at. Thank you.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus