HS woodworking slideshow

Ran into this on YouTube. No affiliation - just liked it.

RicodJour

I understand why you liked it and thanks for sharing. It's good to see youngsters being led out of the norm toward an interest, and profession, that can be very rewarding. Too many of our youth are led to believe that the only road to success is through an MBA or Engineering degree.

I grew up in a very small SE Kansas town. Three young men received shop basics in the local high school and then entered the Wood Technology Program at nearby Pittsburg State University School of Technology. While this occured over a 15-20 year time span all have been very successful. One built up an industrial office furniture operation, sold it (getting rich in the process) and returned to his real love - a hometown custom cabinet shop. The other two, brothers, started a yacht interior business in the Kansas City area. They operated for some time using subcontractors. But recently they built a large, high-tech shop in our home town and are building some of the most beautiful (and expensive) cabinetry I have seen. Most work is NC.

Our own son also attended Pitt State's Construction Technology School, also part of the Tech Center. Quote him, every evening he can look over his shoulder and see something they accomplished that day. His rewards come in satisfaction as well as good money.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I have both an engineering degree AND an MBA, but woodworking is still my obsession. Unfortunately, WW has not become a revenue source for me, let alone enough of a profit to sustain itself. The tides are starting to turn as it comes to professions and what kids are being pointed towards though. I still like the following...

A woman passes a man on the street and notices that he is wearing an outstanding suit. She stops him and says "That is quite a suit. You must be a banker?" The man says "Nah, I'm a plumber. A banker couldn't afford this suit."

Reply to
James E. Cannon

There are some other related clips there that are interesting...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin