Finally Made a Proper Router Extension for the Table Saw

Whenever I have a break between projects, I try to build something that will make the following projects easier. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time. It was very simple, but I'm sure it will pay off.

I had a "mock extension" on the other side of the saw, but it was on the wrong side of the saw for my shop. I used mostly scraps, except for the melamine, which is cheap and already slick in top.

I'm toying around with the idea of adding a sheet steel top surface so my magnetic feather-boards will work on it.

-MIKE-

Well done!

Reply to
Swingman

Looks good. I bet you will get a lot of use out of it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thank you, and yes, except I'm already making improvements to it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

When you get it perfected (although it looks pretty damned perfect) I'll take one also ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I'll price it just high enough to convince you to build your own... wait a sec.... you have Festools.... hmmmmm..... :-)

Ever since I got those magnetic featherboards, it frustrates the crap out of me to have to use regular ones on t-tracks. Did I mention I also hate those dust traps called t-tracks?

I reeeealy want to mount some sheet metal to the top of this. Perhaps I will find suitable scrap somewhere.

Reply to
-MIKE-

What frustrates me with magnetic feather boards, at least on the table saw, is 90% of the time I go to use one the magnets line up with the damned miter slot. :(

Reply to
Swingman

I know exactly what you mean. I don't if it's been done, but I would think those Magswitch guys should make one that is reversible with the magnets offset by about 1.5 inches.

One thing I've considered is a steel insert for the miter slot. Slides in, one set screw, leave it in most of the time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Nice job, Mike. I use a magnetic featherboard, too, and hit the miter slot with the magnets often as well. However, I find that it holds well even when the magnets are directly over the slot.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

You can purchase miters bars that fit the miter slot ay Rockler. I bought one to increase the length of the bar on my 45 degree miter gauge so all I had to do was flip it to cut the opposite angle for a 90 degree corner. It seems it was around $10.

I suspect they are available an any good wood working store.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Aren't those aluminum?

Reply to
-MIKE-

It has been several years since I changed to the longer bar on my 90 Degree miter gauge, so had forgotten.

I went out this morning and checked it with a magnet. It is iron as the magnet sticks.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

It's probably steel, but I get your point. :-) In any case, you'll be glad you got steel, because those aluminum ones can wear against the iron/steel table slot over time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Very cool Mike.

Reply to
Leon

Tell him that it is green, black, and grey and I bet hell will place an order. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Nice

Reply to