Extra cash at HD automated checkup

  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Do YOU believe that story? lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

But this money wasn't found laying on the street. It was found in a cash dispenser which is owned by HD. The money belongs to HD...to be dispersed as per their company policy.

Again...there is no way of knowing for sure that the money was left by a customer. It could just as easily been a mechanical malfunction.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©

Must be a Yankee thing. I haven't seen a full-service gas station in years. I didn't know they still existed.

Reply to
Silvan

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:09:59 -0400, "hbakker" pixelated:

Fact: People who don't pay attention lose money and other things.

Atta Boy! Your karma's good.

I keep my conscience clear by asking the clerk. If they don't want it, I keep it and consider it my karma for the last couple bucks -I- forgot there or somewhere else.

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:41:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@removethispartpobox.com (LRod) pixelated:

Worse than that: Heaven, where you won't know a SOUL!

Which reminds me. There are only two things to worry about...

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

By full service, I mean they pump it for you. Few if any, will check the oil and wash the windshield like the Texaco Stars did years ago. Massachusetts allows the fire marshal of each town decide if its citizens are competent enough to pump gas safely. The entire state of New Jersey is full serve.

If I was truly saving money, I'd say OK, but I see proof that gas can be sold with an attendant for the same price as me freezing my (insert favorite body part here) off in the winter. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Some states have determined that their residents aren't competent enough to pump their own gasoline.

Oregon New Jersey Parts of Mass.

Any arguments with their logic?

Reply to
Rico

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That obviously confirms how bright those of us living outside of those states are.

Reply to
alexy

We buy all our gas at the local Federated Co-op. Full serve, and when I get my patronage cheque every June, I save about 2.5 cents a litre.

Same pump price as the self serve down the block and the full serve station across the street.

Cost me $10, 9 years ago, to become a Co-op member.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Anyone want to lay odds on whether Godwin's Law comes into play in this thread?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I was consulting for an oil company earlier this year and got to watch a video from a service station taken the day before. Self serve dispensers are not allowed to have locking (i.e always on) nozzles. A woman in a van managed to jam one open and got back into her vehicle to wait. It overflowed and when she got out and touched the nozzle, the whole thing went up. I joked (not appreciated by the boss) that she must have jammed it open with a cigarette lighter. Actually, it was probably static. It does happen. And some folks are stupid enough to override the safety features.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Maybe where you live... and apparently you don't travel much. I live in Indiana, and travel frequently to Michigan, and occasionally to Illinois, Ohio, Alabama, Florida, and Ontario Canada. I can't remember the last time I used a self-serve pump that did *not* have a locking nozzle. And no, I'm not getting old enough that my memory is failing. :-)

Doug Miller

Maybe in some jurisdictions, but some of us live in areas where people are even bright enough to be able to handle the locking nozzles.

When I find an occasional station without the locking nozzle, I jam it open with the gas cap. About the right size, and makes sure I don't forget to put the gas cap back on. I've had one overflow in all these years. Good reminder about static, though.

If you are calling a disabled pump (i.e., defeated locking nozzle) a safety feature, then you must be calling all gas station attendants who use locking nozzles stupid? Even more reason to pump your own.

Reply to
alexy

If it was change left by the previous customer, it is not an overage or shortage of the register. The register did exactly what it was supposed to do. The money belongs to the customer that left it or the next person to pick it up (depending on how you look at it). It definitely does not belong to the BORG.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Tell us exactly how you know the machine didn't malfunction.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©

One point I think everyone misses in this is that the money isn't owned by HD, by Joe Hapless, by the OP or anyone else. It's owned by the US Treasury. They just let us hold onto some of it for awhile before it goes home to be destroyed and recycled.

Reply to
Silvan
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Not really. I've been to Jersey! lol

But they should probably add Florida.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

I've always wondered what they did with 'Old Jersey'.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

What city and state did this happen in, Mike. I'd like to look it up.